Anyone got a compact dozer?????

/ Anyone got a compact dozer????? #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
I'd drooling to have a compact dozer. Don't really have a pressing need for one yet, but my Kubota BX just doesn't have the dirt pushing UMPH that I'd like to have at times. I don't have the space, money, or trailer for a full size dozer, but MAYBE if I could figure out a good inexpensive tracked unit, I could fit it into my arsensal.

Anyone used/own one of the small dozers? How's their performance? Regrets? Will they really move dirt like their bigger brothers, only slower?

Thanks,

Ron

/ Anyone got a compact dozer????? #2  
If you haven't already... read the "Help on a dozer pick" thread towards the bottom of the first page on this forum. There is a lot of good knowledge about dozers in that post.

A lot of the people in that thread opt against buying a dozer. They are expensive to maintain. No dought that is true... but, just like any machine, it might run for thousands of hours with no problems or might be a lemon from the get go.

If you have the money and know-how... I don't see any trouble with owning one. Like any machine... it needs maintenance and things will break sooner or later.

On a side note... I recently had 1/2 acre cleared that was heavily wooded. It was cleared with a Case 450 dozer (which is small by dozer specs) and a Case 580 BH. The real big trees... the BH dug around and the rest was handled with the 450 dozer. Even the small units are capable of a lot if you know how to use it. (my dozer guy has used that same dozer for over 20 years and has ran heavy equipment for more than 30 years)

All that said... dozers are great! But do beware that one repair can cost in the thousands of dollar range! The gentleman that ran the dozer to clear my land had just spent over $6000 repairing undercarrage problems. He made the money back pretty quickly.. but he also runs that dozer almost every day. The average "homeowner" would be mad for years over that.

/ Anyone got a compact dozer????? #3  
Here is the link:

dozer

Also do a search for dozer and you will find plenty of information.

/ Anyone got a compact dozer????? #4  
And I thought he wanted something like this: /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

calf dozer

Be sure to check out the "machines at work" to get a real feel for the size.

/ Anyone got a compact dozer????? #5  
RonR, I can only talk of my own experience, so here goes. I bought a Case 310D dozer with 6 way blade, rippers, 9300 hours,$3200. Sounds warn out, not even close. I put another 1000 hours on it before I had to do any repairs. First repair, right side final, $1250. Ran tractor for 200 more hours, blown head gasket. This tractor has been great so far, it still has a lot of power (it will spin both sets of tracks if you over load the blade). I removed the head, had a valve job done $160, re-installed head. Decided to do some other maintenance because I had the tractor apart. Replaced radiator, $360, upgraded hydraulic pump, $469, 4 new larger hydraulics,for lifting and angling,$580.I had actually bent the lift rams at the ends bad enough that the blade would not lift up the last 4 inches. But they had still worked ok. Still have to get all new hydraulic hoses made (hopefully around $1000). Under carriage seams to be in good condition still. Going to repaint and decal( $300) and hope that I will be good to go for a while. Total investment, under $7500. But this only works if you get a machine that was well maintained and any work that has to be done, can be done with no labor cost. There is nothing like operating a dozer and watching all that dirt move in front of you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck with your decision.

Brian

/ Anyone got a compact dozer????? #6  
Seems like most of the "compact dozers" today are built on a tracked skid steer chassis, complete with 6-way blade.

/ Anyone got a compact dozer????? #7  
I just came into possesion of a Case 350 crawler. Tilt/angle hydraulic blade, over-sizes grousers (tracks) Full rops with brush bars, lighting, and a log arch/winch. I've had it for a couple days now, and wouldn't part with it for love, nor money! It's not a D9 Cat, but it'll do things a D9 won't.... (Like fit on my trailer!) Used, they can be had fairly reasonable. BUT..... BEWARE!!!!! Used crawlers CAN BE money pits if they're worn out. (The one I lucked into has only 547 hours on it)

/ Anyone got a compact dozer????? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just came into possesion of a Case 350 crawler. )</font>

So where's the Pic?????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Anyone got a compact dozer????? #9  
To the mountainview ranch fellow, if you hadn't done those repairs yourself, you would have easily hit 10-15000 in repair bills. Heavy equipment mechanics here charge 100$ an hour if you take it to their shop, and used parts can be incredibly hard to find for certain older models.

/ Anyone got a compact dozer????? #10  
What type of soil do you have?

I have red clay, and if it hasn't been touched, it's extremeyl hard.

I had a JD 450G for a few months that was just about useless at breaking through the soil and doing any read digging or dirt moving. It was fun for clearing paths and removing small saplings, but nothing of any size.

The small dozers are a blast to play around on, easy to learn and operate. Relatively speaking, they are cheaper to repair, maintain and operate then the bigger ones, and are easier to sell when your done with it.

My biggest advice would be to "ONLY" buy a machine that you can easily find parts for and repair yourself. I have a hydraulic pump that was discontiuned in mine. Both Case and JD used the same pump in there dozers, so parts can be found, but it's an effort.

If you have a Cat dealer close by and no other dealers around, then I'd stick with Cat. Same for any other major brand. I'm fortunate to have all the major brands within a few miles of me.

Eddie