Stump jumper

/ Stump jumper #1  

ToJo

Tractor
Kubota L3400 FEL
I have seen brush cutters advertised as having a "stump jumper". What is a stump jumper and why would anyone need one?

/ Stump jumper #2  
A stump jumper is a pan underneath the cutter which protects the shaft from damage when somthing is hit while cutting. The blades can still hit a stump but the shaft can't.

/ Stump jumper #3  
CAN YOU HUNT SQUIRREL WITH A DOG FROM THE SEAT OF A TRACTOR.?
//

don't know but when I am at my other farm I keep an 8mm in a scabbard tied to the fender for coyotes. got 6 or so that way.
Ben

/ Stump jumper #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( don't know but when I am at my other farm I keep an 8mm in a scabbard tied to the fender for coyotes )</font>

I lost a nice little 20 guage single that way... let a coworker use it and it went under the rear wheel of a Massey 175.

Funny thing; after that I couldn't hit anything straight on, but it was great for shooting around the corners of buildings.

/ Stump jumper
Thanks, Woodchuckie. I knew my rotary cutter had a pan underneath it but I never knew why it was there. Since I have never "jumped a stump" with mine, I guess it doesn't matter. Probably is also good if you happen to cross over a fire ant mound too. I have plenty of those.

/ Stump jumper #6  
I don't know if you have large fire ant mounds, but if you do, it will also help prevent damage when you hit one of those. Or just bogging the tractor's engine ... it lets the mower ride over the object.
Leo

/ Stump jumper #7  
I've got huge fire ant mounds. How serious is it to hit one with the mower (assuming it is all dirt and not a hidden stump)? I hit a few with a 7' pull type and it didn't seem to slow it down but they were smaller ones.

For bigger ones I just made sure at least one of the tractor tires squashed it down.

/ Stump jumper #8  
On cutters that did not have a shear pin or clutch, the big (i.e., Huge) Mounts may shear a pin when you hit it. I have not damaged a cutter but I have had the tractor stall and not break a shear pin but that was/is rare. The stump jumper will most often prevent any problems from occuring as it tends to ride over the remains of the ant mount.
Leo

/ Stump jumper #9  
George, my place in the country had many huge fire ant mounds when I bought it; big enough, in fact, to stall the engine once on my B7100. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif So, I'm not recommending it, but I just approached them very slowly after that and mowed'em down. It wasn't long until I didn't have any mounds of any size in the pasture since I kept it mowed. Probably, a better idea, if you have a front end loader, is to use it to level them out first, but I just didn't take the time to do that.

/ Stump jumper #10  
I've found that the front lip of the mower shaves the extra excess off before the blades and stump jumper get to the mound. IMHO.. I've mowed countless 'tall' mounds with nothing more than a cloud of dust and dazed ants out the rear of the mower..

Soundguy