2wd vs 4wd

/ 2wd vs 4wd
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mudking -- how important is it that the tractor be able to operate in mud? That may be one clue... )</font>

It's not like I'll be mowing in muck, but Joe L reminded me of a time or two that I've been on a slope that was steep enough to make me nervous. And the red clay here can be quite slick. I wasn't really thinking of FWA as a "safety enhancement ", but I guess it really can be on a steep wet slope.

Thanks for the replies.

MK

/ 2wd vs 4wd #12  
Some dealers I have talked with are telling of farmers buying smaller (power wise) tractors with 4 wheel drive because of the improved traction. I am trying to stay with 4 wheel drive from here out because of the bad places I must work with on the farm. Presently I am using only 2 wheel drives, but, that will change in the future! It is difficult to get around in many places without it.
Leo

/ 2wd vs 4wd #13  
I'm with the 4wd drive bunch, I use it all the time, and my property is hilly, but not steep.......

/ 2wd vs 4wd #14  
I run a 10' mower on my large-ish NH.. it's 2wd.. Never been stuck.. never thought about being stuck.. have driven thru material containing stuck cars, trucks, semi-trucks, and small tractors..... I'm not light either.. I'd gestimate about 9500# plus fluids..

One thing.. I have flat florida land... If I lived in the 'mountains'... I think 4wd would be nicer.. especially going down a frozen /wet/muddy hill.. etc.

a1802.jpg

Soundguy

/ 2wd vs 4wd #15  
holy crap,,,i never thought about that.. luckly i havent had that problem, i wouldnt have expected it. i have a very large fairly steep dam on my pond that i mow, i have 2wd. mine is pretty stable with fel,,,thank God.

/ 2wd vs 4wd
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ( that is one cool looking tractor... ))</font>

Darn tooting. I've always been a Ford/NH guy, and that's a great looking rig.

A bunch of things have me looking hard at the Case IH JX75 though. Including the dealer being 3 miles away. The local NH guy shut down, the next closest is 30 miles.

Any opinions on the JX75? And while you gentlemen have me spending money, should I consider the JX85 (same tractor, but turbocharged)? I guess I've been figuring that a more complex motor meant more potential for trouble, and I'm not convinced the ten extra horsepower is necessary. Any input appreciated.

Tks, MK <font color="black"> </font>

/ 2wd vs 4wd #18  
The extra hp would come in handy with your 8' cutter if you go into any heavy area's. If you didn't have it all you would need to do is drop a gear so it isn't required but it all comes down to what you want and can afford.

The reason I want a FWA tractor for brush chopping is because I cut heavy areas of brush (usually 1"-3" material 10-12' high). What I have found is when cutting this type of material in 2wd and if I hit a ditch I didn't see I will be stopped. I then have to engage the front wheels and I walk thru. They also help with turning in some of the heavy ares when you find a tree that is a bit too big for the cutter. If you had a bigger tractor then you could get by with 2wd but the JX75 is kind of on the small side still (it is roughly the same size as my TN). However, I have a 7710-2 (like Soundguys but w/ cab and older) and it has a lot more weight to it making it work much better with just 2wd then what my TN will do in 2wd. I just need to find a 15-20' brush chopper now at a dirt cheap price to pull behind the 7710-2

To clarify something, a 3pt mower handles a lot different then a pull type. A big 3pt mower will lighten the front of a small utility tractor quite a bit. So one option would be to buy a pull type cutter and it will help keep the front wheels on the ground with enough weight to make them effective.

Attachments

• 724441-Ford 7710.jpg
    724441-Ford 7710.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 149
   / 2wd vs 4wd #19  
Ditto what robert said about 3pt mowers unloading the front. Notice on my rig I have substantial front weight to make everything ballanced well.

As for the turbo engine.. if you were at high altitude.. the turbo engine would not suffer as much hp loss as a naturally aspirated unit.. etc.. again.. your money..

Soundguy

/ 2wd vs 4wd #20  
There is also a big difference between needing and having FWA. If you have a 2000-2500lbs tractor you better have 4wd or every time you turn around you will be stuck. There is a big difference between someone who ownes a 2500lbs tractor saying they would never give up their 4wd and a man who ownes a 4500lbs tractor and saying they would never give up their 4wd. The man with the smaller tractor has no choice, because without it his tractor would be useless. The man with the larger tractor could probably do almost all his task with 2wd, but in certain instances 4wd helps but it not necessary.

Saying you wouldn't have a small tractor without 4wd is like saying you wouldn't buy a new car without wheels and tires.