Oil & Fuel Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour

/ Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour #1  

meledward23

Gold Member
Tractor
1025R
Before prices shot up yesterday I was thinking about this and now I really am thinking about this.

I have never bothered to calculate what my tractor uses per hour when running at 540 RPM's (Brushhoggin, Finishmowing). I was curious if anyone has figured what their machine gets. Obviously unless you have the same tractor as I, then yours will not be completely avccurate but at least a base point for me.

I will figure it out in a few weeks as I have 26 acres to brush hog under a contract that I am looking at accepting.

I have no idea wehter it is 1 gallon/h 5 g/h or 10 g/h. Okay I know it isn't as high as 10 g/h becuase I definetly have not been filing the tractor that often.

I appreciate all comments that are constructive and somewhat to the point.

/ Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour #2  
From what I can tell I burn about 1 gallon per hour when mowing. Otherwise its about 1/2 gallon per hour. I have a JD 4700 41.5 PTO HP with a MX6 rotary cutter. Its a 6 foot cutter.

Later,
Dan

/ Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour #3  
My tractor burns about 3 gallons/hour.

/ Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour #4  
I have a JD4310 and at PTO speed of 540, I use 3 litres per hour.

Richard

/ Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour #5  
This is rough calculations because I've only put 7 hrs on my machine, but in 7 hrs I've used a third of a tank, which is roughly 1.5 gallons. This is mowing an loader work mostly. That equates to a very miserly 0.21 gallons per hour.

I'll have to run it more to get an accurate fuel usage, but I think it'll be around a 3rd of a gallon or less.

/ Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour #6  
There is no way to know for sure, but for each horsepower hour you will use about 0.350 pounds of diesel. A Gasoline engine can burn about 0.5 pounds of gasoline per Horsepower hour. These are very rough estimates and I am sure others will have other constants.
Harold

/ Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There is no way to know for sure, but for each horsepower hour you will use about 0.350 pounds of diesel. )</font>

I like the algorythm. For "horsepower hour", is that measured at PTO RPM's? For non-PTO diesel engines, any idea what a correct tach reading would be? 2/3 or so?

/ Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour #8  
Horsepower is a unit for work done over time. If you lift 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute you have generated one Horsepower. It would take two Horsepower to lift 33,000 pounds one foot in 30 seconds. Or it would take 2 Horsepower to lift 33,000 pounds 2 feet in one minute. Or 4 Horsepower to lift 33,000 pounds 2 feet in 30 seconds.
Harold

/ Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour #9  
I average 10-15 hours of tractor use per tank of fuel. My tank holds 13 gallons so this works out to a range of 0.9-1.3 gallon per hour depending on use. Aside from having more HP, the turbo engine I have is a bit more fuel efficient than the non-turbo version.

When I bought this tractor, I also installed a 300 gallon diesel tank with 120V pump (from Northern Tool). I buy my fuel in bulk and only buy 'off-road' red diesel. I recently (2 weeks ago) filled my tank for $2.34/gallon. Price at the pump is around $3.00/gallon around here now.

I also run my Chevy 2500 4x4 'farm truck' on the red diesel.

My neighbors pay cash to fill their tractors at my pump.

I figure I've paid for both the tank and pump several times already with the fuel savings. I also write off the fuel cost against the business income.

Wish I could've convinced the wife to wait for the diesel Renegade.... she bought the gas version and is now crying about the cost of commuting to work. The car comes off lease soon... I wish I could find a good, fast, diesel-powered luxo-convertible to replace the Viggen with.

Anybody want a brand new Wheelhorse Classic GT? I'd be happy to trade it in on a little diesel subcompact for the wife.

/ Est Fuel Consumption Gallons Per Hour #10  
I've only bushog'd about 4 of the 84 hrs. on my 55DA. I'm generally working in the 1200-2000 rpm range and have gone through approx. 75 gallons of fuel. Mainly done loader, grapple, and boxblade work. So that's putting me and BadDog in the same ballpark, guess you'd find yourself there too. Be sure you lean forward abit when bushogging to improve your areodynamics. No telling how much this could save you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif