Grading Grading gravel drive.

/ Grading gravel drive. #1  

ccsial

Veteran Member
Tractor
(Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1900 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new
I have a gravel drive about 1/2 mile long that goes over rolling hills back to my cabin. I spread the gravel myself with a dump trailer. It is about 6 to 7 feet wide.

I have used the FEL driving backwards and the rear blade both for leveling. The FEL does only a fair job. The RB is very time consuming and easy to dig in. I still don't get it as smooth as I like.

Has anyone used either a RB or Landscape rake with guide wheels? I'd like somthing that did a good job without adjusting the 3PH constantly. One pass would be nice.

/ Grading gravel drive. #2  
I have a long, large, sloping gravel roadway and driveway. I used my rear blade to grade it, and it came out pretty good.

I parked my tractor on level pavement, then dropped my rear blade until it was just above the pavement. I marked my 3pt postion lever at the point and raised the RB.

Once back on the gravel, I dropped my RB to the mark and drove until everything was roughly where it ought to be. One pass will not do it... I figure I did four or five all told. I never moved my RB once it was dropped to the mark.

When I finished this, I had a fairly well graded gravel road and driveway, with 8-10" of gravel thickness pretty much everywhere. I then rented a 1.5 ton vibratory roller at my local equipment rental center, and compacted everything I had just graded. The roller gave me a smooth, tight gravel road that I'm really happy with.

Note that I used my blade and FEL to remove about 6-8" of topsoil from the area before I put the gravel in, taking it down to clay. I also laid a 17' wide woven polyethylene separation fabric on the clay before having the gravel delivered. The fabric prevents the gravel from mixing with the clay beneath, and supposedly will prevent me from ever having ruts in the future.

I also used 1-1/4" crushed stone, not processed gravel. The stone drains better than processed gravel, and it looks better in my opinion. On areas where I have lots of horse and foot traffic, I spread 3/8" crushed stone on top of the larger stone already there. The smaller stone was then compacted, and the result is a smooth surface that is easy to walk on.

I figured out how to build this way from looking at this website: Paving Expert, because my intent is to install asphalt paving next year, after the gravel has had a year to go through the seasons.

/ Grading gravel drive. #3  
I have to regravel my driveway (mainly the parking area near the house) is there a certain gravel you feel I should use? I have no idea about gravel (just bought the house and always had a hardtop driveway in the past) and was wondering is it graded by size or weight? Any guess on pricing (know it will vary by location but a general idea).
Thanks

/ Grading gravel drive. #4  
Use crushed gravel that is well graded if possible.

Gauge wheels on a rear blade make for a world of difference and allow you to run a windrow back and forth to get a nice level slope.

Egon

/ Grading gravel drive. #5  
I have a Forest Service access road as the main part of my drive, they only have right of way. I used the back blade to shape it to my likeing and turn out the water at various places, it took several trips with the full weight of the blade to cut the drainage and shape the crown. They had some small stones on it. I put 3 truck loads of larger stones on, but just down the wheel tracks, leaving the crown to grow grass that I mow. The stones I put down sunk in to the clay base, and I used a rake with homemade wheels to put them back on the surface. However, that has moved many of them to the crown. I'm now using a pond scoop to pick them up and move them back where I want them. When I'm satisfied I'll use some unwashed small stuff on top, and maybe put some washout on top of that. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Grading gravel drive. #6  
ok...I know you didnt' say you had a box blade, but for the sake of other readers....here is a trick I learned from this forum.

I too have a long gravel driveway. I take the scarifyers out of my box blade and turn them around backwards and set them to the aprox 2" mark. This makes them act as "wheels" or skids. I then just let my box blade sit on the scarifyers and I get a pretty good even "rake" of my gravel. I figure this will hold me over until I can afford a landscape rake.

NevadaSmith

/ Grading gravel drive. #7  
I extend the hydraulic top link far enough so the rear blade of the BB is touching and the front blade is not. I then lower the BB all the way. This is the same as back blading with the bucket. You can travel faster this way and when you turn around you just raise the BB, turn and drop. You don't have to watch the BB this way. If there are any ridges left, I will raise the blade until it just touches the ground and go over the ridges. My tractor has the position stop on the 3ph lever so it will drop to the same point every time. If I am grading a lane or property that hasn't been done in awhile, I will take a more aggressive cut on the first pass by leaving the blade more level. In Arizona we have more gravel lawns than grass lawns. My next implement is going to be a landscape rake if I can't get my new attachment to work. I'm try to R&D a rake that will clamp or bolt onto the blade of my BB. I won't have to transport an extra implement and it would be faster than changing implements.

/ Grading gravel drive. #8  
Gravel is sold by volume (cubic yard), not weight (otherwise they would never sell gravel after a rainfall!). Usually a dump truck can carry 10-14 yards (at least the ones around here).

My cost varies with mainly with the cost of the fuel required to run the dump truck. In my case, it costs around $250-300 for a 14 yard truck to deliver a full load of material. I wouldn't bother getting anything other than a full load, given the trucking cost accounts for about a 1/3 of that price, they might as well fill it up. I can always think of a use for the stuff here.

The material costs vary, of course, but not by much, usually only a $1-2/yard difference. The trucking costs vary widely, try to find a place that has exactly the material you want close to where you are. I used 1-1/4" stone for my roadways and driveway; 3/8" for walking paths for people and horses; 3/4" for sub-base under a large patio (which will have sand or stone shavings on top prior to installing paving stones), and white limestone sand for my wife's riding area (she trains horses).

There are various grades of gravel, it's usually sold by size. Depending on who's doing the stone crushing, you typical have sizes ranging from 3/8" to 1-1/4", and some places will sell raw stone (up to 4") for road sub-base.

Almost every gravel pit will sell something called 'processed gravel' which is a mixture of different sized crushed stone and sand, designed to compact really well. This stuff does compact really nice and hard, but it doesn't drain too well after it's been compacted, so you must build a slope on your driveway or a crown on the top of your road to direct rainwater. If you're happy with this, then processed gravel is the way to go, because the material cost is probably the lowest of all your choices.

If you want a flat road with no slopes or crowns, then you need to build the water handling slopes underneath the material, lay separation fabric, then spread crushed stone, not processed gravel. I went this route, and took my time to create all the proper slopes in my clay sub-base. I waited for several heavy rains to be sure the drainage was effective before I brought in any gravel.

In any case, you should run a compacter (vibratory roller or plate compacter) over your finished work. If you don't, it will eventually compact itself from rainfall and use, but that will take months or years. I rent a vibratory roller (the ride-on type) for around $100-150/day depending on the size of the roller.

I've found that following all of this advice gives really good results; I have no problem supporting very heavy vehicles (including full dump trucks!) with no ruts resulting. My neighbors keep coming over asking where I learned to do this... ...all of the info came from Paving Expert. I was trying to learn the best way to prepare for a paved surface, but I'm actualy so happy with the way my crushed stone looks and works, I may never go to the pavement. I'll decide next year after we've gone through a winter.

As for winter, think about how you're going to remove the snow. Make sure your plow has skid shoes on it, and they are extended far enough down so that the plow doesn't dig into the gravel, otherwise you'll be leveling it all out again in the spring.

/ Grading gravel drive. #9  
Wow- great info BadDog, that helps a ton. I may run by the gravel yeard today to get this going. Now it makes some sense! Thanks