Plowing up the garden

/ Plowing up the garden #1  

itsmatt

Tractor
New Holland TC 45, John Deere 420W
Hi,

Well, I'm a greenhorn when it comes to using this plow I've got with my TC-45. I've actually got two of them - a single and a double.

I've successfully turned over the dirt a bit, but I have a feeling I'm not doing things exactly right. Not sure how far I'm supposed to shift over after every pass, if I'm supposed to go back and forth across the garden plot or all in one direction. Don't really have anyone to ask around here and I'd like to do this right.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Matt

/ Plowing up the garden #2  
I can only assume that you are talking about a moldboard plow, one with a single moldboard and the other with two.

If so, the plow turns over the dirt and lays it to the side leaving a furrow. The next pass is done with the right rear wheel in the furrow and the plow turning over the dirt into the old furrow, etc. It is best to not make more than one 'turning' of the dirt, as the sod and/or debris that starts on top is turned so it is underneath. More passes will bring that debris back to the top. Plowing is an art, but not a difficult one to learn.

There are some threads here that you can read to adjust the plow to do the best job.

Finding out more about your plow (pics would be good) will help us give you some pointers.