Stumps - What to rent?

/ Stumps - What to rent? #1  

8NTX

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 8N, Ford 850
Without warning, the electric co-op decided to clear cut the areas under the powerline that runs along our 800' driveway. So I've now got about a third of an acre that was previously heavily wooded, now cleared but with stumps of every size. The bigger trees were obviously cut off with a chain saw, and all are at ground level. But there are dozens, probably hundreds of small to medium stumps, with a few up to 15" diameter. No, they won't come out and clear them out. Some can be left as is as the brush hog will keep them down, but I do want to get out the bigger ones, and the grapevine roots.

I don't want to let it grow back wild since it will be an eyesore. And these stumps are more than my little 8N will handle. I also have a few well-compacted dirt piles to remove and smooth out. I know a dozer and/or backhoe would make quick work of this. But I see this as an excuse to have some fun with a mid-sized industrial tractor or hefty CUT with FEL and backhoe, etc.. What kind of equipment would you rent that will handle this in a day or so?

/ Stumps - What to rent? #2  
If you don't need to completely remove them, try a stump grinder which would take them down below grade.

/ Stumps - What to rent? #3  
what kinds of trees are we taliking about? that could make a big difference in what you rent. there are not to many CUTS that will remove 15" dia,. stumps, not unless you want to spend a lot of time. this of course is just MHO

/ Stumps - What to rent? #4  
I rented a stump grinder from Home Depot, worked pretty good for the smaller stuff.

/ Stumps - What to rent? #5  
That exact thing happened to my fathers 94 year old mother in laws house!

He wanted to turn it into a lawn, asked me same question, I told him to rent an industrial backhoe and I'd be there to dig up the entire area and we could then work on turning it into lawn.

I arrived (drove 6 hours) and he had a Terramite rented.

Though it did most of the job (it broke), an industrial would have been MUCH easier because of the extra strength and to me more importantly, extra reach.

That Terramite fought on some things my backhoe would have breezed through.

Used the loader to give a rough smoothout and to load stuff up to carry off to burn pile.

The loader carrying to burnpile is why we didn't get a track-hoe.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Stumps - What to rent? #6  
By the way, the house is over 150 years old, it was the MIL that's 94

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Stumps - What to rent? #7  
I agree completely with Richard. Rent a full-size industrial backhoe (Case, JCB, Deere, CAT, NH) from a NationsRent or other large rental company that can deliver. A weekend rental would be best. You'll actually enjoy clearing the stumps, and you'll have a serious loader that will spoil you rotten. It will be the best "entertainment dollars" you ever spent. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW: Don't expect even an industrial loader/backhoe to be able to just "pop out" 15" stumps. It will take a little digging.

/ Stumps - What to rent?
The stumps are a mix, but there's one large cedar stump and the rest are oaks and hickory. Only a few in the 12-15" range; maybe a dozen between 6" and 10" and the rest are smaller. I'd rent a stump grinder but as I mentioned, I have some dirt piles to smooth out too and was hoping to rent one machine to do both jobs. The dirt piles are from when the county built the road 30-40 years ago and mounded the dirt into a long berm along the frontage, plus some old burn piles where the root balls were left to rot and just dirt and rotten wood remain. I'm starting to lean towards the industrial machine suggestions.

/ Stumps - What to rent? #9  
Ditto what jinman said...unless you want to hone your skills on an excavator.
Also good "entertainment dollars"!

/ Stumps - What to rent? #10  
Go for the excavator. It takes a pretty big excavator (around 50,000 lbs) to be able to "pop" out stumps. Most rental excavators will be able to take out a stump with a little digging. Factor in some time for chasing roots and prodding around for other hidden surprises.

Make sure you get something that has a thumb on it so you can pick stuff up and shake it around to get the dirt off.

Do some research on the types of trees so you know what sort of root systems you are dealing with. Some trees have killer tap roots.

Make sure you get all your utilities marked in advance so your don't get in trouble if you accidentally hit something. In most cases if they have come out and done their marking then you are safe from being held responsible for any unmarked surprises.

Have fun!