Tractor Stuck

/ Tractor Stuck #11  
I've always been able to push myself backwards with my FEL, never tried forwards, but then again, once my tires are spinning, I want out the way I came it, so I always back out.

Lots of limbs will help stop you from sinking, but might not be enough. Sheets of plywood work better, but that would depend on how far you have to go and what you'll spend on plywood.

If it was later in the year, I'd suggest getting up at first light when the ground is frozen, but I'm sure you don't want to wait that long.

Have you tried puting your bucket down and using it as a skid to keep your front tires up, then just powering through it with your back tires locked? Do you have the floor pedal to lock your rear differential?

Personally, I think I'd just get as far across it as I could, then stop the second I got stuck. You know it's gonna happen, so don't make it worse by digging yourself in spinning the tires. Than I'd get a tow strap and start pulling with every vehicle I had. If one wont do it, get a second. I've heard of people using four vehicles chained in a line to get enough traction to get the stuck one out.

Good Luck,
Eddie

/ Tractor Stuck #12  
Be careful if you decide to use the old farmers trick. I had a very memorable experience doing that. If you're thinking about it read this post.
stuck good.

/ Tractor Stuck #13  
It seems we still don't know whether the muddy spot is 4' or 400'.

/ Tractor Stuck #14  
Get a few bales of hay and break them up. You'll be surprized how much flotation you'll get. I've used this trick several times and I have a much larger tractor. The problem with boards and posts - you'll never recover them.

Another option - if you have any stone walls near this mud hole, start moving the stones.

/ Tractor Stuck
Well we got the tractor unstuck. To answer a question that was posed it was about 200 ft of wet to get through, partly because of the rain last night. What I did was get 4 12' rough cut 2x10's. I then cut them in 6' pieces. We fortunately had the tractor on a semidry spot at the other end of the "bog" we got it turned around and after placing the boards across the path we backed on to them. It worked out that we could just get the back tires centered on the rear most board when one board would be free in front of the front tires. We just kept moving the free board from front to back. It took us about 3 hours to get all the way through but the tractor is back at the house. It would have been better with another plank or two to give us a bit more leeway. It also would have been better with another 1-2 people. My wife feels I owe her big time after this adventure.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully I don't decide to have this problem again. The tractor is certainly getting a bath tomorrow. I don't think our clothes will ever be the same.

/ Tractor Stuck #16  
Hummmm..... Any pictures??? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Glad you got it out! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hypernix /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tractor Stuck #17  
Thanks for sharing that. I once had a tow truck pull mine out. Sounds like you were to far back in the woods for that option.

Bob Rip

/ Tractor Stuck #18  
Glad you got out. Another option is to get a gas powered winch. They look like a chainsaw with a winch in place of the blade. Some have impressive load ratings. I'm sure you can probably rent them.

A come-along works well too, but it can be very tedious if you have a long pull and it needs to be a good one. I've torn up cheap ones in a single 'un-sticking'.

/ Tractor Stuck #19  
Getting stuck, that is the other reason I put a hyd winch in my loader frame. Been temporarily detained, but never stuck.

/ Tractor Stuck
I've thought about adding a winch on the tractor. Might do that after this incident. I suggested to my wife that we reenact the rescue so we could get pictures. She was not amused.