Idle or Off

/ Idle or Off #1  

MSU_Keith

Tractor
Kioti CK30
Just curious as to how others handle situations that require getting out of the seat for small periods of time. I am doing some grading work and find myself getting out to check grade against batter boards frequently, plus other activities that require getting off the tractor - pulling out roots and rocks, changing from blade to rake, or getting a cold beverage. When do you turn off vs leave at idle with brake on? 1-2 expected minutes is my usual rule but I'm being to think that longer idle times are better for the tractor than the on/off cycle.

/ Idle or Off #2  
Maybe up to 5 minutes...except for warm up.

/ Idle or Off #3  
Ask yourself this, which is harder on a diesel, constantly starting and shutting down (read heating up and cooling down) or idling? The same goes for a car, it does much better driving on a highway then it does in stop and go traffic. If you are doing something that requires you to hop on and off numerous times leave it run unless you are going to be gone for an extended period of time. I think nothing of leaving my tractor idle for 10 minutes or so if I am working on something. The only time there is an exception is if you are doing something and there are kids around as it is hard to work and keep your eye on kids at the same time so shut down in case they decide to play around the tractor while you are not looking.

/ Idle or Off #4  
In the total picture, I don't think it makes a difference. Theoretically, some minor differences may be identified.

I turn mine off when I don't want to listen to it run. I like to hear the birds chirp and the wind rustle through the trees. I take every opportunity to do that, and have the same feeling for radio noise. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Otherwise, one could come up with pros and cons for either 'side' of the discussion. Do what feels good to you.

/ Idle or Off #5  
I would recomend leaving it idle for the same reasons as above. It is also good to let the tractor idle for a few minutes after working it to allow it to cool down a bit before shutting it down.

/ Idle or Off #6  
"Ask yourself this, which is harder on a diesel, constantly starting and shutting down (read heating up and cooling down) or idling? "

The Deere manuals do not recommend extended idling. The manual doesn't go into defining "extended idling" but it does state that sooting can happen.

When I idle my 790 (as mentioned above), it's normally at 1200-1500 RPM. I never idle below 1200 RPM.

/ Idle or Off
Interesting info from the Deere manual - nothing in my manual either way (Kioti CK30). When I have idled, I usually bring the stick all the way down which is about 1000 RPM. The soot thing just might be a difference in how the engines are tuned at idle.

10 Minutes seams like a a long time, IMHO.

/ Idle or Off #8  
That is true, I forgot to mention that in my post. I tend idle around the same range as you do. Another thing is to not go from full throttle to idle after working the motor hard. My 7710 has a feature that controls the idle to protect the engine. It idles it around 1200 rpms then drops it down to low idle. When it goes to low idle then I shut her down.

/ Idle or Off #9  
I can't think of any reason to leave it running unless it's to cool down after running at pto speed for awhile. Even then, I only let if run for a couple of minutes. Like someone else said, I get tired of the noise and usually want a break from it.

/ Idle or Off #10  
I let mine run if it will be needed within 10 minutes.. course. i let it set at about 1000 rpm or so.

That's prety much status quo for heavy equipment that contractors use too. Startt he equipment up at the beginning of the day.. shut down at lunch..maybee... then shut down at the end of the day..

I imagine 'starting' is one of the harder tasks on a machine..

Soundguy