Tires mounting tires backwards

/ mounting tires backwards #1  

bkruszka

Tractor
Kubota B7510 HST
Now that i had to get a brand new tire over the weekend. I am thinking about buying another rim and trying to patch the old tire myself. My thought is that i could use this tire as a spare incase i have a flat in the middle of the road again. The only thing is i relized that if i got a flat on the outher side the tire tread would be backwards. Does anyone know if that would hurt anything on the tractor if it was driven that way for a short distance like a mile tops.

/ mounting tires backwards #2  
I wouldn't want to work it hard that way because of the difference in traction, but just a short drive won't hurt anything.

/ mounting tires backwards #3  
Chevron tread (tractor tread) tires are used in reverse quite frequently on grain carts and some other applications. It doesn't hurt a thing. Like has been mentioned, you loose the traction edge, but they'll roll along just fine. In fact NON-TRACTION wheels prefer to be reversed. They clean (mud) better that way.

Also, some folks install tires backwards on combines. (At least the steering wheels) to assist in backing out of mud. When a combine runs into mud that it can't pull through, it's better to reverse direction, and back out. The "backwards" tires help out there.

/ mounting tires backwards #4  
Like Farmwithjunk says, it can't hurt a thing.

I'd question if it really pays to buy an extra rim, just for the outside chance of doing this again. I think cutting a tire like that is rare enough to not need a 'spare' one, especially if you can get another on a Sunday like that. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But it is your nickel, so they say.

/ mounting tires backwards #5  
I don't think it would hurt for a short distance, but as BEENTHERE says, not sure it is worth the cost of a rim on the outside chance it would happen again. just MHO

/ mounting tires backwards #6  
I like to keep a spare front on a rim.. but had never thought about a rear.. guess I'm too $tight$!
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Soundguy