Cold weather starting

/ Cold weather starting #11  
Used to start diesels in NJ and in VT and was a chemical engineer in my previous life. Engine heater and either diesel fuel additive or up to 1/2 kerosene in the diesel works. Engine heater is needed to start, and additive/kero is needed to keep from having wax gelling in the fuel filter. Only takes about 0.1 to 0.2% additive for it to depress the gel point of the fuel. Just follow the recommendations.

Opening the throttle as much as about 1/2 will help, too. You can throttle back a little bit once started but probably want to idle it as much as 500 rpm higher when it's really cold.

I've started (immediately, with engine heater) at below -20 F and had the fuel gel in the filter stop me (happened twice, until engine heated the fuel filter that is mounted right on the engine on a Benz). Have also had the engine stall when not having the fast idle set.

Ralph

/ Cold weather starting #12  
Is an hour with the block heater really enough to get the whole thing warm? I thought the right way to use block heaters was to leave them plugged in on a warm engine all night. That way you're only maintaining temp instead of trying to warm all that mass from -30 to + 80 or so.

/ Cold weather starting #13  
I don't have a block heater on my JD4310 and it starts every time.

I use the glow plugs any time it gets below plus 20 degrees Farenheit. It has started as low as minus 30 Farenheit and it is kept in an unheated garage.

Richard

/ Cold weather starting #14  
<font color="green"> use the glow plugs any time it gets below plus 20 degrees Farenheit. </font>

Not to be picky, but the JD4310 doesn't have glow plugs. That is an air preheater....

/ Cold weather starting #15  
ALL RIGHT ILL WIND EVERY BODY UP. Up here in Maine the old school farmers cut their diesal with kerosene in the winter.My kubota dealer cut mine in my new tractor,and reccomended 50-50 in extreme temps,never had a problem with my off road and kero. Sounds strange to you warmer climate folks huh? No block heater.kept in cold barn,started fine at -10 with just glow plugs,
ALAN

/ Cold weather starting #16  
A little farther North where the temps dip a little lower the good old boys just add a little conditioner to the winter grade fuel. They may also plug in the block heater before starting.

Uhh - - 10 ain't cold!

Egon

/ Cold weather starting #17  
I have a Yanmar with thermostart. It ignites fuel in the intake to preheat it. Not always enough so I've clamped a heat gun on a sawhorse pointed at air intake. Sucks up the warm air and starts easily. Don't get it too close (18" or so) or you'll melt some paint.

Skinman

/ Cold weather starting #18  
I have heat in my shop. That's where I store all my paint/pesticides/stuff that can't freeze. Heat stays set at 55* unless I'm going to be working there, in which case it gets shoved up to 65*. One tractor spends the winter in the shop. That way there's always one "warm" and ready to roll. If I'm using the shop to work on a project, and the tractor needs to set outside overnight, I plug in a block heater that's timer controlled.

With livestock, I don't have much choice in the matter. SOMETHING has to start every day. (Although in sub-zero weather, I USUALLY feed from the pick-up truck. )

/ Cold weather starting #19  
It's kind of interesting, there are seasonal questions on TBN and this is one of them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1. If you buy your fuel from a place that sells a a fair amount of diesel, the fuel should already have winter additives in it.
2. If you want to be sure, or if you have diesel you bought in the summer, add a conditioner (anti-gel) like PowerService or cut the fuel with kerosene.

Some invariably chime in that they don't have a block heater and their tractor starts fine at x degrees. By and large, you do not buy a block heater so your tractor starts, you buy one so it starts easier and takes less time to warm up.

/ Cold weather starting #20  
[At the risk of completely highjacking catvet's thread]

Mike,

I agree...easier starting. However, it is scary how fast my JD 4115 start in the coldest weather. It's not the starting I use the block heater for, it's the cold steel with cold oil that I don't like. I just can't help but believe that it is less wear on the parts to be a little warmer than sub-zero (F) when starting. Also, I don't figure (perhaps incorrectly) that a touch of anti-gel/anti-wetting agent can hurt in a 5 gal. can.

Now, as for those mentioning -10 in Nova Scotia.... -10 C is downright balmy, might need a flannel shirt and long pants /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (just kidding).

Tom