Mowing rear mower question

/ rear mower question #1  

fish_wisperer

Banned
Tractor
mahindra 4500 2wd
do rear mowers pull like a trailer (pivits) or are they rigid to the tractor like a shredder?

/ rear mower question #2  
There are both kinds of rear mowers. Those who are pulled by the drawbar(flexible ?), and those who hook up to the 3 point hitch (rigid).
Ben

/ rear mower question #3  
I've only used the kind attached to the 3 point, but I'd imagine the other kind wouldn't be too good for trimming arount buildings and such. Particularly if you neeed to reverse.

/ rear mower question #4  
They work ok in reverse, sort of like backing up a trailer. Lots quicker/easier to hook up , just the pin and usually hydraulics to adjust the height.
Ben

/ rear mower question #5  
And the PTO shaft of course.

I'm guessing that they are larger mowers used on larger tractors where the three point might not be able to pick it up anyway.

/ rear mower question #6  
The 3pt mowers may or may not be rigid. Mine has swivel links between the 3pt arms and the mower. The swivel link is ~4" or so with balls on both ends just like on the 3pt arms. The top link connects to the mower deck with a chain. Between the two there is room for a fair amount of movement. These are fairly easy to back up with and manuever around.

/ rear mower question
thanks,, ive used a shredder, and a riding mower but i have never used a rear finish mower. with the shredder it comes off the ground when i top the hill on my pond **** and i dont feel comfortable going from the side with the tilt. im going to get my wife a subcompact and need to decide on a mmm or a rear finish mower.

/ rear mower question #8  
Right you are the PTO shaft as well. And yes af far as I know all batwing cutters are pull behind type.

Ben

/ rear mower question #9  
I just set the position control to about 5. This lets the 3pt arms drop below the mower, the links are pointing down until you start pulling the mower. I never have any lifting problems front, back or side to side.

However if mowing is the primary task then go with a MMM. Preferably one that will come off quick and easy.

/ rear mower question #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( im going to get my wife a subcompact and need to decide on a mmm or a rear finish mower. )</font>

If your wife drives the way mine does, you will DEFINATLEY want a MMM /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif