Chains Chains, Hooks and Binders

/ Chains, Hooks and Binders #1  

fjblair

Tractor
I have been looking at the AW Direct site to try to determine what I need to strap my tractor(3130) to the trailer. Lots of stuff there. To the uninformed(me) the choices are a bit overwhelming. I'm learning.........

Can anyone suggest:

the type of chain
length of chain,
type of hook
type of binder

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FB

/ Chains, Hooks and Binders #2  
I really like my chain and binder setup. It is 3/8" chain rated at 5400 WLL with ratchet binders rated at 9200 lbs. The ratchet binders seem to do a great job of keeping tight. I bought the 3/8" chain in 16' lengths with hooks on each end, the typical logging chain.

I have 4 of each and chain from the frame of the tractor to the stake pockets of the trailer. Each independent chain and binder pair is used for tractor restraint only. No log dragging.

I would have used the smaller 5/16 chain but the binders were made for larger links.

/ Chains, Hooks and Binders #3  
I use the same set up as Highbeam. It really works well. I found the chains to be a tad too long and bought two more 10' chains. I haul my tractor backwards and use the shorter chains on the rear of the tractor and the longer ones for the front. Shorter chains are easier to handle too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rodger

/ Chains, Hooks and Binders #4  
The ratchet type binders are safer than the over center type. If you don't get the latter over center it will fly open violently.

/ Chains, Hooks and Binders
Thanks guys. Maybe like this:

chain

and this

binder

and this
hook

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Chains, Hooks and Binders #6  
Personally, I have my chains set up with a "grab hook" like you've pictured on one end, and a "slip hook" on the other.

I've found this to be a bit more versatile setup for general purpose use. Sometimes you want to be able to loop a chain and have it tighten up by sliding through the slip hook...

/ Chains, Hooks and Binders #8  
I've seen those J hooks used a lot on wreckers and such, but they look very large for general purpose use. These are the type I have on one end of my chains:

Slip Hook ]

/ Chains, Hooks and Binders
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Personally, I have my chains set up with a "grab hook" like you've pictured on one end, and a "slip hook" on the other.

I've found this to be a bit more versatile setup for general purpose use. Sometimes you want to be able to loop a chain and have it tighten up by sliding through the slip hook... )</font>

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

FB

/ Chains, Hooks and Binders #10  
Here is a photo of an arrangement I have. Grab hooks on both ends and a slip hook in the middle (with support plate). You need to specify what size chain you'll use as the "slip" hook can just be a size larger than the properly sized grab hooks.

Attachments

• 749011-IMG_5331 100K.jpg
    749011-IMG_5331 100K.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 291