Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount

/ Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount #1  

Bob_Young

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000
The tractor manufacturers make a big deal about having a 'flat deck' operator area. I notice that JD brags that the deluxe 5x25 series has a 'flat deck' while the poor-boy 5x03s and 5x05s are both straddle mount.

Even better, supposedly, is flat deck with no shifters between the legs.

Most of my time is on straddle-mount machines with shifters between the legs. I have no problem with straddle mount and prefer having the shifters between my legs (be nice now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif). Better there than up on the fenders where they can get smacked by a tree limb...I have enough problems with tree limbs occasionally grabbing the throttle.

My L4300 Kubota has a semi-flat deck and it's nice, but I don't see the big deal. Seems like the straddle mount is more practical and permits a more compact profile.

So what am I missing? Would like to hear from others who have experience on both and a strong preference.

Hey, it's raining. What could be better than to start something on TBN /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
Bob

/ Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount #2  
The flat decks are better for older folks and those of us with bad lower backs.
Also a bit easier to get off of in a hurry if the need arises. I get sort of tired of catching end of my pants leg on the deck control lever on my rider.
Ben

/ Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount #3  
Based only on my experience between a friend's TC40 and my 1910, the flat deck seems to eliminate the need to "climb" on and off the tractor, making it much better when your working off the tractor as much as you are on...

/ Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount #4  
My 790 has the straddle mount operator station. I have a gimpy leg and my foot does catch the shift lever on occasion. This tractor is probably a bit more difficult to climb on and off...but I don't consider this a big deal since it's such a nice machine in all other respects.

/ Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount #5  
If you are working in an area where you need a low profile machine the straddle mount is the way to go. However, the Flat deck is heads and tails a better setup for every other situation. First is you don't feel the heat from the tranny anywhere near like you do on a straddle. Second is you have a much better view. Third is it is much more comfortable as you can stretch your legs out. And fourth is the controls are much easier to work as you don't have to lean forward and reach under the steering wheel. You just grab a shifter and shift.

Having used a lot of different tractors I will say this, a flat deck tractor is a much better setup for any amount of tractor work. If all you do is play around for a hour or two then a straddle mount is fine. But if you live on your machine then get a flat deck.

Worst tractor I ever had to run is a David Brown 990. You sit low to begin with and you have three shifters parked between your knees. The MF 135 wasn't too bad but it would heat up and let you know you had your butt parked on a hot piece of metal if you ran it for any amount of time. However, the older tractors like the Allis Chalmers WD 45 were a little different and more fun to drive. You sat so far back on those ones that you were actually behind the tranny and sitting above the lift arms. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount #6  
Ditto Robert. Heat, visibility, ergonomics. A flat deck tractor is a great thing if you spend more than an hour or two at a time on a tractor.

/ Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount #7  
Flat deck -
My experience here is with row crop tractors visibility is great, plus you are up out of most of the dust and bugs. The flat deck seems cooler than straddling a hot transmission.
Straddle -
I spent most of my teenage years on these tending citrus groves. Much lower profile to get under limbs. Unfortunately, you are very intimate with the dust and bugs. The shifters weren't a problem as a couple different tractors were hydro. IH 544 and a 656 hydro - no levers on the deck, speed control on the dash. Also, had a IH 574 (what a lemon!!) it had shafter on the left side console. The old MF 35 with the shifters between your legs did not bother me. The JD 1520 also did not bother me. Our AC D17 , also not a problem.
Maybe it's just personal taste. And something that you can't really change. Way back when there was not much choice. You drove a row crop tractor, more than likely, you had a flat deck. You drove a utility tractor for compactness and maneuverability, you had a straddle.

/ Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount #8  
Bob I have read some very well stated reply's to this. My experience is mostly with garden tractors and lawn mowers. The golden years have set in and I really appreciate the flat deck on my JD 2210

/ Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount #9  
I tried both the straddle mount and the flat deck before I bought my tractor. Not a whole lot of difference comfortwise, a little more room for your feet on the platform. I went with the platform because of the other options that come with it. A bigger fuel tank, by 9 gallons I think, fender lights and maybe more stuff that I can't remember. My shift levers are lower than the fenders so hitting them on limbs has not been a problem. The only downside to the flat deck is it collects a lot of debris, twigs, leaves, etc.... when I go through the woods.

/ Flat Deck vs. Straddle Mount
Yeah, CF, I guess they all have a point. My horse-n-buggy tastes need to be updated. It's time to free myself from straddle-mount oppression. But I'm not givin' up yet. A couple more points should be raised.

When I want to stretch my legs on my old straddle-mounts (JD40, Ford 2000 & 4000) I stand up. Same thing when I want a better view over the nose or when the bugs and dust get too heavy down low. The Kubota quits when I do that (darn seat switch /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif), so I guess it needs the flat deck. The old tractors, especially the Johnny Poppers, were designed to be operated either sitting or standing. Today, operating while standing is not PC.

Never much noticed heat from the transmission, though. That must be more of a problem down south. At this latitude, heat from the transmission would be welcome for a good part of the year.

Still raining.
Bob