Tractor Mechanics?

/ Tractor Mechanics? #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
I stopped by my Kubota dealer today to pick up a few things & told the guy behind the counter that I was about to change my oil, but there were several things I'd like the dealership to do; however, I can't do without my tractor right now - - too much post-Katrina work to do at my place. He replied that it was a good thing that I could not bring it in right now because they have no mechanics. Apparantly, they are all working for FEMA or other types of hurricane clean-up projects.

Just wondering if others in the gulf coast area have heard similar stories?

I do know that just about every dump truck owner around here has bolted on high [I mean HIGH] sides so they can carry more debris - - & there are bunches & bunches of these trucks on the road. Guess there is good money to be made right now.

/ Tractor Mechanics? #2  
I'm not in the gulf coast area but we have dump truck and fuel tanker drivers from Va. in that area. I think most of the fuel tankers and drivers are back home now. Just heard yesterday that one of the larger fleets of dump trucks and drivers were going to be there for 3-4 months. Also heard the drivers were being paid $50 per hour. Don't know what the truck fleet owner is getting. All being paid for by FEMA.

With this type of cleanup in front of them I expect there will be trucks and drivers from most every state in the country.

/ Tractor Mechanics?
Hmmm, $50/hr? Don't know about that. The way some of these guys are driving I'd sure guess the pay is by the load or amount hauled. In other words, they aren't dilly dallying around like a worker paid by the hour.

/ Tractor Mechanics? #4  
After our hurricanes in Florida, the drivers were getting paid by the load. FEMA had designated debris areas, and the trucks would get a receipt for every load. FEMA installed a small observation tower so they could look into the back of the truck and ensure it was a full load. Some people were dumping half loads and getting reimbursed for a full load.

Joe

/ Tractor Mechanics? #5  
When Fran hit NC years ago we had dump trucks from out of state hauling debris. FEMA was paying them by the load. There were mountains of the chipped trees. On what used to be the west side of Raleigh there was/is a valley that I think was created by a quarry company that is at the other end of the valley. FEMA used that valley as a dump/chip site. The litterally filled that valley up with chipped wood. Don't know where they hauled it to but it disappeared.

There was a small dump site of chipped wood that just sat for years. People would try to get a truck load and if caught they would get chased off by the POlice. A highway extension just went through the spot and I'm sure they had to pay to haul and dump the stuff elsewhere....

FEMA did not pay for that move. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Dan

/ Tractor Mechanics? #6  
My BIL in Slidell is doing tarp work for contractor that called and offered me $500/ day, fuel paid, for me and my loader tractor for cleanup work. Also said he needed my 18' trailer with the sides staked, but wouldn't disclose price per load.
Not the kind of money I'd quit my other job for and guy struck me as kind of a sheister.

/ Tractor Mechanics? #7  
Saw a thing on CNN or some other news show about the clean-up. They quoted that clean-up companies were getting between $15-$16/yard for clean-up, removal and dumping. They showed grapple loaders going about as fast as they could with a line of 8-10 dump trucks waiting to be filled.

-Norm

/ Tractor Mechanics?
The pay is there for now for sure. The guy who shoes our horse has a son who just graduated from high school & was supposed to start college this fall. The kid found he could earn $25/hour for claen up work & has decided to delay higher education. That pay seems pretty high.
Can't blame these people for jumping at the money, but if I was running business & had employees bolt for a sweet but temporary job, leaving me without help, I don't think I'd ever re-hire them.
BTW, there are jobs here looking for people. I saw a sign at a local Burger King offering $6000 for signing on. A signing bonus for burger pushers! Well, it's really not a signing bonus because they pay it at $500/month. Still, it's a sign of what employers are facing right now.
Jack