Tactor Winter Storage

/ Tactor Winter Storage #11  
Being in the south I can't say about winter preparation but as for the prolonged storage, I have had mice chew wires so you might consider that aspect. I've read where some folks have had good results using moth balls but I haven't tried it myself yet.

/ Tactor Winter Storage #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've always done things just the opposite from what you do. I fill all my fuel tanks and put in some stabilizer in the fall. Never change the oil till spring. )</font> The reason one should change oil before storing is because the old oil has harmfull contaminants in it which can damage the bearings and other internal parts. This is the reason car makers tell you to change the oil every "X" amount of months or "X" amount of miles. If you still have break in oil in the engine, it would be proper to change the oil with new break in oil and then store the tractor. If you are only storing the tractor for a few months, I don't think you would have any problems leaving in the old oil.

/ Tactor Winter Storage #13  
I've stored my tractor for the entire winter for the last 5 years. It's kept in my barn. It usually sits unused from mid-October until March. Here's what I do:

<ul type="square"> [*]Put the tractor up on blocks. All 4 wheels off the ground. [*]Leave the hood open. Keeps the mice from nesting on top of the engine. [*]Fill the tank to the top w/Diesel. Probably ought to start using stabilizer, but never have. [*]Pull the battery and leave it on the trickle charger. [/list]
I've never had a problem. My JD-790 has about 250 hours on in now, and it starts of the 1st try, even after sitting all winter!

/ Tactor Winter Storage #14  
I was wondering what the purpose was of blocking the clutch in the fully depressed position. I have a geared tractor but I will be using it over the winter so I was just wondering why this suggestion,

/ Tactor Winter Storage #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1*I was wondering what the purpose was of blocking the clutch in the fully depressed position.
2*I have a geared tractor but I will be using it over the winter so I was just wondering why this suggestion, )</font>
1* Keeps the clutch and plate from fusing together.
2*Don't apply to in use.

/ Tactor Winter Storage #16  
Hello neighbor. I've got a few sleds so what I do is monthly fire em up for 5 minutes and then shut em down. With tractors I try to do the same thing. Diesel doesn't clog up the jets like gas would. And moisture will evaporate after you run it hot for a bit.
Preventive never hurts. But in the short term I don't think you have a lot to worry about.

/ Tactor Winter Storage #17  
Haven't seen anyone mention one obvious thing to check which is the coolant/antifreeze condition.

/ Tactor Winter Storage #18  
Good idea Bob, I would caution against 5min though. That is just long enough to create condensation. With your diesel it would be best to run it at 2000RPM for 15-20min with a load on the 3pt hitch.

/ Tactor Winter Storage #19  
<font color="blue"> with a load on the 3pt hitch. </font>
Why?

/ Tactor Winter Storage #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> with a load on the 3pt hitch. </font>
Why? )</font>

I think Greg meant a PTO driven implement running to put a load on the tractor.

I'm not sure that would be necessary...but let's see what Greg says...