Same Dealer...For Everything?

/ Same Dealer...For Everything? #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
I have three different dealerships for my make of tractor within 25, 35, and 45 minutes of me. When I get to the intersection of my road I can go North, West, or South depending on what my tractor needs are. There seems to be big price differences on attachment and implements of the same brand name or comparable brands.

Do you tend to do business with the same dealership? Or do you compare prices and buy from several?

The dealers in my area seem very service/customer oriented. And I would feel comfortable buying next tractor from any one of the three. I always give the dealer I bought my tractor from a chance to meet or get close to the price of the other dealers. And each dealer seems to want to compete for my future business and have offered to service my tractor even though I did not buy from them.

Two of the dealers are very competitive on pricing of tractors and some impelments. But an example would be I bought my tractor from Dealer #1, bought FEL from dealer #2 and have bought parts and implements from dealer #3.

The FEL I bought from dealer #2 due to a change in salesman at dealer #1 and the price he gave me on the phone was several hundred dollars higher when I arrived with my tractor that same day. So I call dealer #2 on my cell, his price was 400.00 cheaper and I give the salesman a chance to meet or get close to this price, he would not move on price so I drive to dealer #2 and buy from him.

I have talked with the owner of the dealership I bought my tractor from and explained to him I would like to keep my business with the same dealer but I will not deal with that particular salesman. He said the price I received on the FEL was way to high and apologized and now I only talk with the owner.

So do you stay with one dealership even if price is a couple hundred dollars different or do you buy from different dealers?

/ Same Dealer...For Everything? #2  
Three dealers for tractor parts and service.(3 different brands of tractors.)
Another for baler/hay equipment parts (same brand as newest tractor, but a different dealer)
4 MORE dealers for various brands of equipment/implements.
And yet one more that's just about to open on Nov. 1st that might just get their share of the action. (Less than 5 minutes from the farm. Same brand as my most frequently used tractor and baler)

So, my answer is 8 (+1).

Never put all your eggs in one basket.

/ Same Dealer...For Everything? #3  
I like to support the dealer I purchased my tractor from, but only if he carries the brand of implements I am interested in - and also sells them at a competetive price.

I have purchased 3 addl. implements from 3 other dealers due to brand and price.

There is also an additional benefit to using multiple dealers - more free hats /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Same Dealer...For Everything? #4  
I buy parts locally, but used a dealer miles away for a tractor purchase. Was a $3500 difference in price of a 5203. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The guy has a point about more hats! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Same Dealer...For Everything?
(There is also an additional benefit to using multiple dealers - more free hats )
( <font color="blue"> </font>

I stopped at a new dealership out of state. Told him I had some time to kill and just wanted to look over his dealership. He gave me a free hat /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Same Dealer...For Everything? #6  
I chalk up one point about dealing with the same place - if they get to know you its more than likly they will bend over backwards to keep you. Our best customers get treatment that I would not give my own brother!

Neil,
I agree with you.

I always give the dealer I bought from a chance to meet or just get close to the others price and I will buy from him. It just seems alot of times it is the salesman that you deal with. Some want to make more than other on a sale and the salesman that changed the price on me, this was the third dealership he had worked at in three years.

And the dealer knows me well and he knows when I say I am ready to buy, I buy.

/ Same Dealer...For Everything? #8  
My dealer has treated me fairly ,and given me good service . Therefore , He's got my business . He's a bit further than several other dealers but, We are on good terms . I , for one don't want to sever that relationship . John

/ Same Dealer...For Everything? #9  
I've been very pleased with my dealer but will usually have a pretty good idea on price checking with them last so I can make the call right then. Something that comes to mind is what an acquaintance that owns a tire shop told me once. His thinking was once he got a customer coming to him, he would backoff of any big price break (he had a few too many sodies and was spilling the beans). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I guess what I'm saying is we need to be educated consumers. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Danny

(His thinking was once he got a customer coming to him, he would backoff of any big price break (he had a few too many sodies and was spilling the beans).

I think this happens more than people realize. Alwasy good to get other quotes just to keep the guy honest. <font color="blue"> </font>