Mowing Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions.

/ Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions. #1  

BamaRob

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2615 4WD
Do you wear a dust mask when mowing in extremely dry conditions?

I decided yesterday was a good time to mow down below the dam on my dad's pond. Most of the time, it's too wet to mow in there without marring up and creating a big mess. It hasn't rained in over a month, so the ground down there was nice and firm for the most part (only a couple soft spots that didn't cause any problems). Unfortunately, the dry conditions meant that there was lots of dust and pollen. I have lots of problems with my sinus allergies, and after mowing yesterday, I was feeling pretty rough last night and this morning. I got a steroid shot this morning and am feeling much better now.

So, do you guys/gals (especially those with allergies) use the paper dust mask when mowing in dry conditions? Do they do any good? Are there better alternatives?

Thanks,

BR

/ Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions. #2  
The problem with a dusk mask is that they don't fit well so you suck a lot air through the gaps. Even if it did I'm not sure it would filter the pollen. A respirator on the other hand fits very well and you'll need the correct cartridge.

/ Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions. #3  
I started having this problem with all day weed wacking and then brushhogging so now I take the benadryl anti-allergy pills and wear the cheap dust mask. Between the two I have no more issues. I was actually getting the swollen throat thing the night after the exposure. Unpleasant. I now also have the epi-pens for severe reation if I think I'm going to die but that is more for bees.

Now that it is the wet season, the dust masks don't get used.

/ Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions. #4  
I usually ride with a damp shop cloth for cooling my forehead, but will put it over my mouth and nose when the dust kicks up. Really makes a difference when the allergies kick up.

Now where's that little yellow face for sneezing? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions.
I take Zyrtec daily to help control my allergies. I can't take Benadryl due to my high blood pressure (I take Atacand daily for that). The Zyrtec works well except when I do something stupid and expose myself to massive amounts of dust/pollen. So, the cheap dust masks seem to help you? That's good to hear. I'll give them a try next time.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now that it is the wet season, the dust masks don't get used.)</font>
The wet season should be beginning here, but we haven't had a measurable rain at my house since shortly after Katrina went through! We could really use a rain. Both to settle the dust/pollen and to help my gameplot grow. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thx,

BR

/ Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions. #6  
Yes, they help. I also wear the safety glasses during the weed wacking which presents a problem as the dust mask would channel my hot breath into the glasses and fog them up. The masks got dirty from filtering, and without the mask I would have inhaled all that stuff.

Funny thing about benadryl is that the alcohol hits you much quicker. Antihistamine/alcohol I should have known. I can only vouch for a benadryl/dust mask/alcohol combination. After one night of near panic when I couldn't breath very well I have really tried to tackle the problem.

/ Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions. #7  
I've used the paper dust masks but find that a handkerchief tied as a triangle around ones head works just as well, without as much fogging of glasses. Most handkerchiefs aren't as big as the ones the cowboys wear for this; so my wife made me some out of rags.

Ralph

/ Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions. #8  
I use a higher grade paper mask if it's really dusty (I'm lucky, no allergies). Also use it when doing demolition work in my business. It's thick foamy-type paper with a foam edge - where it makes contact with your face - and has a metal tab that you pinch over your nose (helps keep the breath from fogging saftey glasses that another poster wrote about). I get them by the box, 15 to a pack, I think, at Home Depot. Less than $1 piece in bulk.

-Norm

/ Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions. #9  
Wear one whenever there is any dust (which we get a lot of post the Cedar fire).

Found that the best mask is one that has both a metal nose clip and foam pad at the top -- makes it more expensive as well.

I use an N-95 mask with an exhaust valve -- reduces fogging of the safety glasses and also keeps it cooler. Buy mine through www.gemplers.com.

/ Dust mask when mowing in dry conditions. #10  
I've never worn a dust mask, but I notice when I mow ragweed, or weedeat weeds, I have difficulty breathing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Trust me, that ain't fun. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I have an inhaler that I'll use on occasions like this.

RedDog