gasoline transfer tank?

/ gasoline transfer tank? #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX 7320
I have a 50 gallon diesel tank in the back of my truck that I use to fill up my tractor. Right now I am working on another project that requires a lot of gasoline for remote equipment. I am using 40 gallons of gas a day and it is getting old hauling it in eight 5 gallon cans. I expect two more weeks of this and I will not be using my tractor during this time. I am thinking of using my diesel tank to haul the gas. I was thinking of emptying it and putting on a new filter and then using it to hal the gas.

I guess I am wondering if this is a good idea? Is it safe? Seems like I remember reading somewhere that either the pump or the tank are not rated for gas? I know gas is a lot more flammable than diesel and that is why I am concerned.

/ gasoline transfer tank? #2  
You answered your own question.
Would you strap dynamite to your back?
I know you have a fuel tank in your truck, but it is designed to take a hit by another vehicle and still...........you get the idea.

/ gasoline transfer tank?
From a hazard standpoint what is the diffference in having 40 gal in this tank, or 40 gal in 5 gal cans in the bed?

/ gasoline transfer tank? #4  
Dog,

The pump is most likely not rated for flammable liquids. Meaning it will be a source of ignition for the flammable vapors. If you are next to the tank you will DIE /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif in the fireball when the vapors ignite and an explosion occurs. Look on the pump and see if it says Not For Flammable Liquids Use. If not, then call the manufacture and ask them if the pump and tank can be used to carry and transfer flammable liquids (NFPA rating for flammable liquids is class 1-A,B,C). If you do not see a label then DO NOT use the pump. A rated pump for flammable liquids cost more because of the how they are made and the higher insurance cost for a pump that uses flammable liquids because of the higher hazard. ( I work for an insurance company.)

Carry the cans for a few more weeks it will be better for your health. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ gasoline transfer tank? #5  
So diesel is technically not considered a flammable liquid?

/ gasoline transfer tank? #7  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( So diesel is technically not considered a flammable liquid? )</font>

As inspector said it is not, below is from a code point of view.

This is from NFPA 30

3.3.25.1 Combustible Liquid. Any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point at or above 100°F (37.8°C), as determined by the test procedures and apparatus set forth in 1.7.4. Combustible liquids are classified as Class II or Class III as follows: (1) Class II Liquid — any liquid that has a flash point at or above 100°F (37.8°C) and below 140°F (60°C); (2) Class IIIA — any liquid that has a flash point at or above 140°F (60°C), but below 200°F (93°C); (3) Class IIIB — any liquid that has a flash point at or above 200°F (93°C).

3.3.25.2 Flammable Liquid. Any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point below 100°F (37.8°C), as determined by the test procedures and apparatus set forth in 1.7.4. Flammable liquids are classified as Class I as follows: Class I Liquid — any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point below 100°F (37.8°C) and a Reid vapor pressure not exceeding 40 psia (2068.6 mm Hg) at 100°F (37.8°C), as determined by ASTM D 323, Standard Method of Test for Vapor Pressure of Petroleum Products (Reid Method). Class I liquids are further classified as follows: (1) Class IA liquids — those liquids that have flash points below 73°F (22.8°C) and boiling points below 100°F (37.8°C); (2) Class IB liquids — those liquids that have flash points below 73°F (22.8°C) and boiling points at or above 100°F (37.8°C); (3) Class IC liquids — those liquids that have flash points at or above 73°F (22.8°C), but below 100°F (37.8°C).

/ gasoline transfer tank? #8  
Even if you have to change to a new pump, manual or powered, it's going to be easier and safer than hauling cans. The rating of your current pump is what you need to verify. Mike

/ gasoline transfer tank? #9  
Many years ago an old fellow with a bad back had me hook up an automotive electric fuel pump so he could transfer gasoline from the 5 gallon tanks to his riding lawn mower etc.(static straps, the whole 9yards) Worked for him. Now I have the older body and a JD diesel. I was just wondering if the same 12V gasoline fuel pumps would work for diesel. Would be a LOT easier than climbing over the loader arms and steering wheel.( I also would spill less) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ gasoline transfer tank? #10  
Why not use an electric diesel fuel pump? I see lots of them hanging on old tractors.. just wired up .. etc..

Soundguy