Multi-range PTO?

/ Multi-range PTO? #11  
Glenn,
I know that certain 1200 and 1100 series MFs had two speed PTOs. Some had a lock out plate on the PTO shifter and some used a shift slot that was to short to go to the faster PTO speed. They had the double gear in the transmission but it wasn't approved by the ASAE for use in the US. By either removing the plate or putting a longer slot plate on the tractors they could have a faster speed PTO. I don't have the manuals for the 1500s and have never seen the inside of the rear housing to be able to tell if they have a two speed or not. If a guy had a really good dealer, partsman or shop manager he would be able to find out.

/ Multi-range PTO? #12  
ASAE 540 RPM PTO is 6 splie
ASAE 1000 RPM PTO is 22 spline
Kubota 1000 RPM Mid-Mount is Involute spline
TSC sells a 22 spline to 6 spline conversion for around 30 bucks.

My M9000 uses interchangable PTO shafts just like JD and just like JD, the tractor better be parked in a ditch headfirst so the Hy-Trans don't leak out!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Multi-range PTO?
In other words, that feature may or may not be available but restricted on the 1455 or 1500 series?
If available, it would seem almost criminal to cover it up!
I don't have a shop manual and the parts guy at the dealer is new and I think he's lost. Good guy but I don't know how much he knows yet. Seems to me that this would be a viable option for most manufacturers. Not idiot-proof as a single speed selection, but with adequate warnings in the manual they should be able to get away with it. Branson does...

/ Multi-range PTO?
Daryl,
Thanks for the response, but I'm not concerned with splines, but with varying the speed of the PTO, which is normally 540. With the option available on the Branson I could select the mid-range 6xx?, between 540 and 1000 PTO RPM and clip my pasture at a lower engine RPM. No change in implements. No change in PTO shafts. Save fuel the whole time. Just a more efficient utilization of horsepower.

/ Multi-range PTO? #15  
My Zetor has the 540 and Euro spec ground speed PTO function ranges from 289 to 1350 rpm. Neat thing also runs in reverse to reverse a post hole digger /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

European farmers use it to power wagon wheels & help move loads on steep inclines. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Multi-range PTO? #16  
Glenn:

One thing I have found to be true is that if you utilize 1000 rpm at 1/2 speed, you may not be in the torque range of the motor. Lugging a diesel is no good.

/ Multi-range PTO? #17  
My old Kubota L175 had a two speed PTO gearbox also. Sometimes I wish that my L3010 had a two speed PTO also. I hate to run the engine at full speed when mowing just to get the correct blade speed when I don't need all that horsepower.

Kevin

/ Multi-range PTO?
You're correct Daryl.
On my tractor, 540PTO is at 26-2700 Engine RPM. I've found that if my blades are sharp I can clip the pasture at about 21-2200 RPM in 2d gear and save substantial fuel. At this speed the engine's not lugging.
The 6530 I mentioned in the original post offers three PTO speeds I believe. 540, 1000, and one in between, 6hundred and something but I don't recall exactly.
Whatever the offered speeds, they're gear driven, and it would be relatively simple to determine the ratio and then know pretty close what the PTO RPM is at a given engine speed within that range.
The mid-PTO range would work well to keep the PTO at the recommended 540 but have the engine at a lower RPM, but not lugging as it probably would be at the 1000PRM setting.

/ Multi-range PTO?
Thanks for the link Bam. That's the sort of info I was asking for. I thought JD had something from previous reading, but didn't know what it was called or offered on. Apparently it's available only on the 5025 series. An extract of what they say about it:
"The 540/540 Economy PTO allows customers to select the engine rpm that is needed for their PTO application. The economy position provides 540 rpm to the PTO at 1900 engine rpm. The 540 Economy is ideal for any PTO application, from running a mower conditioner to a baler or a cutter, where full horsepower is not needed. Operating at lower engine rpm decreases customers' fuel costs during tasks. And the overall operating experience improves because there is less noise and vibration for the operator."

Seems that other manufacturers would offer something similar. I can see where it wouldn't be feasible for most CUT's or lower HP tractors, but would be attractive for most 45HP and up.

/ Multi-range PTO? #20  
I've got 3. Ground speed, 540, and 1000.

RedDog