bucket size

/ bucket size #1  

gumper48

am planning to buy the ck30 w/ fel & bh.
is the 9" bucket better for digging stumps than a larger one ?
larger would be better, it seems, for digging dirt etc.

tia
gump

/ bucket size #2  
Yes, a smaller bucket is better for stump diggin. It is easier to break the roots with a small bucket.

/ bucket size #3  
Welcome to TBN. The most useful buckets are the 12" and the 18" on a small hoe. If you can only afford one bucket now, consider the 18". A 12" is good for digging trench and pour footings, stump removal, and general trenching. For general excavating, a larger bucket is more usefull. Also, in wet conditions, the larger bucket empties easier. In the 9" and 12" sizes the wet spoils tend to stick inside the bucket. Hope this helps you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ bucket size #4  
I agree that a smaller bucket is better for stumps. My bh came with a 24" and I find it great for the construction work I have to undertake but too wide for drainage and service trenches and for breaking roots. A smaller one, probably 12", would be quicker for these operations.

/ bucket size #5  
I think it depends on your soil. I chose a 12" bucket over a 10" bucket because alot of the soil here is clay and can be a bear to get out of smaller buckets sometimes. Speaking just strictly for stump removal, the smaller the better but you may limit yourself for other uses. I think a good general use bucket is a 12"

/ bucket size #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The most useful buckets are the 12" and the 18" on a small hoe. If you can only afford one bucket now, consider the 18".)</font>

I agree with this statement. I found that a CUT backhoe can only do "so much" digging in harder ground and the 12" was just as hard to dig in as the 18". That being said, the 18" would be my bucket of choice if you only have one.

However, if you can have 2 buckets, consider the 9" and 18" ones. You should be able to root better with the 9" for stumps and such. In that proceedure, you're not as worried about leaving mud or clay in the small bucket, because you're using it to "tear" the roots anyway....just my opinion.

I don't have a 9" bucket but it makes sense that the smaller the object you're trying to stick in the ground the easier it will go in, using the same force (like hammering a spike or a 2 x 4 into the ground, I guess). Maybe there are attachments for the backhoe that are specifically designed for "rooting"? Don't know...
Here's a link to my new backhoe with 18" bucket: CLICK HERE