Engine heaters...Help!

/ Engine heaters...Help! #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
My little CUT has let me know that it does not like to start in cold weather. Tonight it took a good five minutes of cycling glow plugs, trying the starter, letting it sit, hearing it sputter, cycling glow plugs, etc. I need to do something different.

Chime in here...I want all the advice and input I can get. Tell me thoughts, feelings, experiences about these options. Tell if there are other options too. Money is an issue, but I want to get something that works.

Pad Heaters

Magnetic heaters

Tank heaters

Hose heaters

dipstick heaters

/ Engine heaters...Help! #2  
What tractor do you own?

/ Engine heaters...Help! #3  
How cold are you talking about? From my experience you can't beat a block heater.

/ Engine heaters...Help! #4  
I just put a 120vac 300w lower radiator hose heater, 1 1/2" size in my Kioti CK30. It works fine, after a couple hours at 20 degrees F the block is close to 100 degrees.

Starts without using glow plugs at all.

Mike

Attachments

• 779417-kioti heater.jpg
    779417-kioti heater.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 259
   / Engine heaters...Help! #5  
I've tried them all over the last 25 years. Just my opinion now. I prefer the tank heater. They seem to warm the engine faster than anything I've tried. I've used a 1500 watt on a 4 cylinder diesel engine 50-70 hp and it'll warm them in about 20 min. enough to start OK. Leave them on for 1 hr. and the temp. gauge will start to climb.

/ Engine heaters...Help! #6  
A tank heater is by far the best, if you have room to install it.

/ Engine heaters...Help!
I own an Iseki TX1500. I've got another thread going to see if this tractor has a frost plug, but I don't think it does. This is why I'm thinking that I'm going to need one of these other options.

As far as how cold... last night it was probably about 16 degrees, but it's going to get a lot colder than that around here.

For those of you recommending the tank heater... How do these work? I haven't been able to figure out what tank it is heating (fuel? coolant?) or how it is installed.

/ Engine heaters...Help! #8  
The tank heaters that I have go into a small hose like a heater hose. My MF compact (Iseki) has two rubber caps on the engine to install the hoses for a cab heater and that would be where the tank heater would be connected.

/ Engine heaters...Help! #9  
Hose heater or block heater. The other ones you mentioned are not good and don't under any circumstances get the dipstick heater.

murph

/ Engine heaters...Help! #10  
Should have said what murph said about the dipstick heater. For sure don't get one of those. They will fry the oil because of the small contact area.