Redirecting startup exhaust

/ Redirecting startup exhaust #1  

DAP

Veteran Member
From Orange County NY to Lincoln County ME
Tractor
JD LX288 and a B7800
I bought a length of plastic tubing about 2 in diameter. I'm planning on shoving an end of this over the exhaust pipe of my Kubota so I can move that puff of startup smoke outta the barn.

Anyone ever try this?

Obviously I won't let it stay connected very long ...

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Redirecting startup exhaust #2  
I don't get a lot of smoke on start-up, but I drive it out right away and let it warm up outside, not in the shed. Don't see a need for a hose.

/ Redirecting startup exhaust
Here in New England ... its not unusual to see the barns attached directly to the houses as is somewhat the case in this instance ...

I start up the diesel ... and that smoke finds the kitchen lickety split ... not going over well with the CEO ...

/ Redirecting startup exhaust #4  
It should work fine. I used to do the same with my B6000. I have also used dryer vent hose.

Just don’t let it get too hot…

Gary

/ Redirecting startup exhaust #5  
Could use the metal type dryer hose and just hang it from the ceiling. Very easy to move it over because it's flexible. I may have to set that up at my house.

/ Redirecting startup exhaust #6  
I have a metal dryer hose in the barn I use for the tractor, cars, truck and generator. They are cheap and last. When it is cold, you do what you have to do! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Redirecting startup exhaust #7  
I see the problem. So it is just the smoke.
Would you connect the hose, start up the diesel, let it run until there is no smoke, and then disconnect the hose and drive it out of the barn?
Seems the diesel smell is what I dislike (as well as the Mrs.) when I have to bring a pallet of wood into the attached garage. But no smoke.

/ Redirecting startup exhaust #8  
I have a section of SS flexible tailpipe that I use to redirect exhaust from my tractor (or other vehicles) . Original intention was to smoke out underground critters. Most auto supply stores carry it.
Should not have to worry about it getting hot and melting. Cost more but is more durable. Click Here

/ Redirecting startup exhaust #9  
I do it with a piece of 4" corrugated plasic pipe with a hand butchered, I mean fabricated, piece of aluminum flashing on the tractor end. I want something a little less bulky but haven't got around to that. It works for the moment. Gotta get the plastic about a foot or so away from the exhaust pipe due to heat. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Gets nice and flexible thought after you warm it up some /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Redirecting startup exhaust
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I see the problem. So it is just the smoke.
Would you connect the hose, start up the diesel, let it run until there is no smoke, and then disconnect the hose and drive it out of the barn?
.... )</font>

Precisely ... the startup puff is considerable when space is as tight as it is at my place ....

Actually, with a hose in place, I might even be able to let it warm up before pulling out .... gotta see how hot that exhaust tip gets ...

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif