Tires R4 or turf tires

/ R4 or turf tires #11  
dennisthomas,

I used to have a Kubota with the bar-type tires pictured above and they did a pretty good job. I mowed and maintained a limestone driveway that was all uphill without any problems. I then traded the Kubota in for a NH with R4's. So far, I have been able to do the same stuff without any problems. The R4's have not damaged the grass (while finish mowing which is 90% of tractor use) and is also good for the "dirt work". I'm still waiting on the snow though!

My vote is for the R4 tires especially if you are going to hang a loader on the front. I have a loader and a backhoe and I'm sure the turfs would'nt have lasted long (wear and anger from being stuck).

/ R4 or turf tires #12  
I had the bar turfs on my old Deere 670. These are a good alternative to the R-4's if one doesn't want to buy new rims. This tractor is the same size as your 755 and does have a loader, although not installed when I took the picture.

I have been told R-4's are tougher then the bar turfs, but I have brush cut quite a bit of very rough field with no problems. I've also ran this tractor over the road (asphalt) with no undue wear.

My current tractor, a Deere 790, has the R-4's. I like them a lot. But if I had turfs and wanted a more aggressive tread, I'd go for the bar turfs rather then buying new rims.

Now, I don't know what sizes bar turfs are available in...I doubt if one can get a bar turf for a tractor any larger then a 670 (or Kubota 7500 series and other equivalents).

Attachments

• 781881-670 Outside_A.jpg
    781881-670 Outside_A.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 216
   / R4 or turf tires #13  
I’d order my CUT with R4s but it arrived with turfs, so I had the pleasure of test driving the latter for little over 2 months. During that time I re-moved about 40 yards of sand from a pit and moved another 20 yards or so of 3/4 decayed tree trunks. The R4s then arrived and were used to remove another 50 or so yards from the hillside. All and all, the turfs performed beyond what I’d expected (4wd FEL work). The R4 certainly didn’t slip as much, but dug holes a lot quicker/deeper when they did. And they also left marks in lawn areas in situations where the turfs wouldn’t.
This is in soil that predominately sand, so things might be different in your clay, especially if wet. Can’t comment on longevity or snow use---yet. Good Luck.

/ R4 or turf tires #14  
I have to disagree with Kevin about R4s in mud. My old tractor had ag tires that dug in and sunk real fast in my swamp, but the R4s are much better. I think the wider tire makes a big difference in rolling over the mud.

/ R4 or turf tires #15  
I got both R4 and T1 for my 4310. The R4s work well for most situations. My tractor with R4s is like a sports car. It is quiet and responsive. Really handy for getting around in tight places. works well on the loader. It runs down the road smoothely and offers good traction. With the T1s, it becomes a totaly different machine, a tractor in every sense. It sits higher. The tires rumble on the highway. Gear ratio changes such that there is a dramatic increase in road speed and corresponding loss in power. I use the T1s in the winter up in my sugar bush in the mud and or deep snow. The R4 just do not cut it under these conditions. They load up with mud and spin too much. The wheels for the T1s can be set out nine inches wider than the R4 wheels and offer three inches more crop clearence. My seat of the pants feeling is that the T1s give me about fifty percent more tractive effort over the R4s.
Sorry for rambling. on.