I need to drive on the roads in PA legally

/ I need to drive on the roads in PA legally #11  
I am a Pa State Trooper (Patrol Unit Supervisor). Legally you have to have insurance, a Special Mobile Equipment registration plate and a slow moving vehicle triangle to drive a tractor or lawn mower over 16 hp on state or local roadways if you are not a farmer and travelling between farms, service station or place of selling your 'goods'. If you are already purchasing the umbrella insurance policy I would recommend putting the registration plate on as it is less than $50.00 per year. Otherwise, if you are not a farmer and are not involved in a crash or interfering with traffic the chances of you being stopped driving a tractor with SMV triangle (and lighting at night) are very slim. Chances are slimmer that you would receive a citation if you were stopped.
Hope this helps.......Shooter
(p.s. The law is very 'grey' when it comes to farming and who is actually a 'farmer' and what is defined as farming activity)

/ I need to drive on the roads in PA legally
Thanks again everyone. That's funny you mention about a amber beacon. I just bought and installed it yesterday. I had some driving lights I attached to the roll bar using the factory holes and wow does that make a difference in what I can see. I will make a call today to see if I can get one of those special plates. I would go out of my way to make sure I'm following all the rules. The whole reason I'm doing this is for my mother. At 72 she can't really clear her driveway and its in a location that drifts even when we get a coule inches. Thanks again and I will keep you posted in the plate info.

/ I need to drive on the roads in PA legally #13  
You mention getting an umbrella policy. I've been told by a number of insurance companies that they won't give me one because I engage in "farming" activities. Can anyone recommend a company that will give me a policy despite my bad habits?

/ I need to drive on the roads in PA legally #14  
<font color="blue"> Can anyone recommend a company that will give me a policy despite my bad habits? </font>

Try Pennsylvania Farm Bureau

You may have to join but it might be worth it.

/ I need to drive on the roads in PA legally #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You mention getting an umbrella policy. I've been told by a number of insurance companies that they won't give me one because I engage in "farming" activities. Can anyone recommend a company that will give me a policy despite my bad habits? )</font>I don't know the scope of what you are doing but try looking up a United Farm Family agent. We operate a small horse operation as an LLC and use them for everything even a life insurance policy. In fact, I have my Dodge dually insured through them for <300/year with full coverage. The only thing not through them is our Ford Explorer because it is not a farm vehicle. About the only drawback I can think of is that every vehicle or piece of machinery on the property needs to be insured for liability even that old junker whatever you might have. Even so, the costs are neglegable.

By the way, do you subscribe to Lancaster Farming newspaper? I see ads in there for insurance. http://www.lancasterfarming.com/

/ I need to drive on the roads in PA legally #17  
I just bought a BX2230 and it came with the SMV placard and amber flashers. I drove it approximately 1.5 miles to my mothers house to do some dirt work just last weekend. I got passed by 2 city units and both just waved...I took that as a good sign but I do not consider it definitive evidence of legality...I am still researching Ky law on the subject. If anyone already "knows" the law in Ky I would be grateful...

Slam

/ I need to drive on the roads in PA legally #18  
I have the Triangular floresant orange SMV plate on the back of the tractor, headlights, and a pair of round orange flashing lights on my ROPS visable front and back.

/ I need to drive on the roads in PA legally #19  
In Va. the triangle is required, but the local police also recommend the amber flashing light. It's a good idea even if not required by law.

Take care, but not all of it.
Bob Rip