Grading "Sticky back blade'

/ "Sticky back blade' #1  

burtalm

Tractor
john deere 3320
\"Sticky back blade\'

I'm sure someone has answered this question before but ...
I just finished clearing several weeks of snowbelt snow from my camp. The first time I've used my compact c20 for this job. The problem is that the snow seems to "stick" to the back blade and dowsn't slide off to the side as it should. I switched to the fel to do the job and managed to get the job done but again the snow was sticking to the loader bucket as well.
What is the best cure for the problem? I assume a spray lubricant of some sort would help. I thought of silicone spray, WD40, and/or Pam vegetable spray. OR, do you "grease" the metal with something else?
Would some of you guys with experience share what has worked best for you? Thanks in advance. Burt

/ "Sticky back blade' #2  
Re: \"Sticky back blade\'

I have not used any thing to get snow to slide off blade. Others have posted that Pam works. It may be speed the make the snow slide off blade. I have a front blade which lets me use speeds fast enough to make snow slide in direction that blade is angled.
My rear blade does not have the problem either.

/ "Sticky back blade' #3  

I'm just guessing here, since I see snow once in a blue moon, but it seems to me that the sticky nature of the stuff depends on the temperature. The closer it is to the melting point, the more likely it is to stick to whatever.

/ "Sticky back blade' #4  

Burt, This is what I do. I use Johson's wood floor wax to "prep" the blade before winter . Then I use the generic "PAM " throughout the rest of the season . Seems to do the job . John

/ "Sticky back blade' #5  

I think a lot of variables contribute - temp. of the blade, condition of the snow, temp of the air, humidity of the air, surface of the blade, shape of the blade, etc, etc. Keep poking at the problem, and you might find the answer to each of the variables, and hopefully the answer covers most of them.

/ "Sticky back blade'

The blade is brand new. I never figured that Waxing the blade would be needed but next season I'll try it. It was pretty cold today ... seems like temperature shouldn't be an issue. Tractor is stored in an unheat barn so the metal should be as cold as the snow. Humm .... still want to hear the ideas of others... Thanks guys.

/ "Sticky back blade' #7  

The deeper the snow, the more angle you need. I all ways start at 1 setting tilting. If it piles up and starts to get close to the rear wheels, I add to the angle.

Never have tried lube. Just note as you add angle you lose width. With my 72" blade it's not a problem

patrick

/ "Sticky back blade'

Thanks Paddy. I know you set the vertical angel with the top link but about at about what angle??

/ "Sticky back blade' #9  

On all grader blades I've seen pivot at the center. This can be adjusted to be paralel to perpendicular to the axel. In fact many can spin all the way around for pushing. There is a large pin, 1" dia, that holds position.

So the deeper the snow more angle away from paralel

/ "Sticky back blade' #10  

Snow plow wax, that is what our state DOT uses. I have with good results used just a liquid floor wax.