Moaning/Groaning tractor?

/ Moaning/Groaning tractor? #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
Hi folks - hope you can help - I fired up my new 5105 this morning at around 38 degrees, and the hydraulic pump was groaning louder than the engine. When I raised the lift arms it would stop - as long as they were moving. When they reached the max lift, it would resume groaning, and when Ilowered them it would continue groaning. Steering didnpt make it stop, but changed the sound somewhat. I ran it 20 minutes, probably not long enough to warm up the hydraulic fluid.

I called the dealer service dept. who didn't have time to talk with me, said "bring it in." Since this is my first tractor, I don't understand when these things happen, and I don't want ot bring it in to the dealer for every little thing, especially if it ain't nothing to worry about. Can someone give me some info on whether I should be worried?

/ Moaning/Groaning tractor? #2  
Sounds to me like the fluid was just cold. I would think it would quiet down after a few minutes of use. Everything worked fine, right? just a little noiser than usual?

/ Moaning/Groaning tractor?
yep, everything worked fine. The groaning was as loud as the big diesel, that's what worried me. I have about 100 hours on it and have not heard that sound before. thanks for the reply

/ Moaning/Groaning tractor? #4  
Sounds like you were running at a pretty high rpm. IMHO not a good idea on a cold engine. I like to keep the rpms as close to idle as possible for a minute or so to let that cold oil get to the bearings. after that I let it warm up at around fifteen hundred. At this time I cycle all the hydraulics, loader, roll back, three point, ect. I don't run at rated rpm until my temp gauge moves or the heater is putting out a little heat. One more thing is when you have been running hard and the engine is hot, let it idle a few minutes to avoid any hot spots in the engine. Thats one nice tractor. I almost bought one of them just like it. Good luck.

/ Moaning/Groaning tractor? #5  
What rpm were you running it at? low or high? did the sound vary when the rpm of the engine was varied?

Did you check the oil level in the transmission?

/ Moaning/Groaning tractor?
While the groan rises and falls with rpm, I was mostlu idling and not running at high rpm. I was actually using an auger.

Checked oil level, was normal. checked hydraulic fliud level. it was normal also.

(the JD dealer never asked me if hydraulic level was ok, so that's when I wondered how much brain power they were putting into my problem. I have heard the sound a pump makes on a backhoe that ran out of fluid when I punctured a hose.)

/ Moaning/Groaning tractor? #7  
38 degrees F is still warm in my opinion. I started up my new New Holland TC48DA at about 22 degrees F, and there was a noticeable noise comming from where the valving for the loader arm was. I had the throttle set just above idle, and had had the engine block heater plugged in for about 4 hours, so it started right up. I'm changing my hydraulic fluid to the Amsoil, 5-30 synthetic.

/ Moaning/Groaning tractor? #8  
Not saying there's a problem....Not saying there ISN'T. Just commenting on MY case, with a different tractor.

I've got a Deere 2440, 1978 vintage, that I've owned since new. It's always "made noise" when started cold. 90% of that noise comes from the area of the hydraulic pump. It goes away when things warm up. The tractor has seen a little over 2200 hrs. with no hydraulic troubles what-so-ever. I've ran hydraulic wood splitters, several implements with cylinders, and constant use of the 3-point hitch. NO TROUBLES.

Let the dealer listen if you're concerned, but don't be shocked if they don't find any problems.

/ Moaning/Groaning tractor? #9  
I also am not sure, but increasing the rpm when my tractor 'groans' or 'humms' like it's a hydraulic fluid flow problem, takes care of it.
If yours still does it after its warm and the rpm is around 1400 or above, I'd make that trip to the dealer. Otherwise, not.
And 38° is warm, not cold /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Hasn't been that warm for at least 2-3 weeks here, if I remember correctly. Finally over freezing today, and snowing big flakes. 8-10 inches on the ground now.

/ Moaning/Groaning tractor? #10  
Just from your description it "could " have been a relief valve stuck closed and pressure was building up. When you raised the lift arms the fluid was being used and the noise went away. Letting the arms down doesn't use fluid from the pump.

I've seen this in large stand alone hydraulic systems.

Not saying that's your problem but it sure sounds like it. If the relief was stuck open you wouldn't have the pressure to operate the hydraulics correctly and would be the exact opposite.

A dead heading remote valve would respond the same way also. Are you sure you didn't have one of the remote valves in a working position without a hose attached when this happened? I know I have one that's like a detent or lock in position valve and have accidentally bumped it on and the hydraulic pump will load up. It'll make a noise like you describe.