Tires FEL and turf tires

/ FEL and turf tires #1  

kossetx

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC 40 A, AC 5020
I have an allis chalmers 5020 with turf tires and it is the only tractor I have owned. I bought the turf tires specifically to have more rubber between me and the mesquite thorns that used to dominate mt land. For more than 13 years that tractor has done me real well, mowing and pulling a 4' disc for deer plots, but I'm now looking for a tractor with a FEL.

After watching this site for quite some time, I realized that having the turf tires did me more than just not going flat. I have no ruts on my land from R1 or R4 tires tearing it up. The turf tires leave no more imprint than a 4 wheeler, and I like that. I have miles of trails cut through my land and I'm thinking with ag tires I would have torn them up.

Does anyone use a 30-40 HP tractor with turf tires and how does it perform with a FEL? Is there any reason not to go ahead and get turf tires on a FEL equiped tractor? Am I being too conservative thinking that R1 and R4's are too harsh on the ground and pasture? The tractors that I've looked at with ag tires are very agressive looking. I'm planning on keeping the 5020 as long as I can get parts, so I'll continue to mow around the house and the trails with it. It it better to go ahead and get R4's?

Any opinions are appreciated. MP

/ FEL and turf tires #2  
The disadantage to using turf tires with a FEL is that the sidewalls of turf tires are much softer than the sidewalls of R4/Industrial tires. It is possible to flatten your front tires if you have a heavy load in the FEL. To compensate, you need to increase the air pressure of the tires. Generally turfs are the worst choice for FEL work, but many folks use them. Just so you realize that you won't be able to eek out that last ounce of performance from your FEL and you won't have much trouble. Now if you absolutely need as much capacity as the FEL can deliver, then I would recommend you take a very hard look at R4 tires.

/ FEL and turf tires #3  
You know, it's strange that tire manufacturers have not seen the potential market for a stronger wall turf tire for just such an application.

/ FEL and turf tires #4  
I don't take any exception to what Bob said. I would just like to add that I have an LK2554 Kioti 25 hp with a FEL and BH that has turf tires on it and I wouldn't trade them in on any other type of tire. I mow with the tractor, snow blow with it and build trails through some pretty rocky and woody woods. I have never had a problem with the tires or wished I had more traction. I suppose it would be able to push the FEL bucket into a pile a little better with R1s or 2s, but not worth it to me.

/ FEL and turf tires #5  
Kubota L4330 w. FEL and turfs ...no problems; had R4's and traded them quick when I saw what was happening to the lawn.

/ FEL and turf tires #6  
I have a Case DX35 with turf tires and FEL. I have never really loaded down the FEL. However we get a lot of rain and a lot of soft ground here in coastal SC and I imagine you may get the same in Houston. Even with turfs I have occasionally torn up the ground after a heavy rain. I would hate to see what R4s or Ags would do in the same situation.

/ FEL and turf tires #7  
I have turfs on my TC24D and would have nothing else for my situation. It is a smaller tractor, but I have maxed out the FEL with no problems except one - with it fully loaded with crusher run to where it feels light in the rear end even with loaded tires and a back blade, the power steering gets tough on occasion. I have a lot of slop and clay and they do load up when doing light excavation work in the rain. For mowing, snow blowing (with chains), heavy FEL work, and snow plowing with the blade, I run out of power before I run out of traction in most situations. The thing I like the most is how easy they are on the soft lawn we have.

It will really depend on your situation, but I think the turfs hold up well to everything I have asked of them - fully inflated of course.

Brad

/ FEL and turf tires #8  
kossetx,

I have a '04 NH TC33DA with R4 turfs and FEL. I have the Titan Multi Trac C/S turfs. NH offered three different turfs at the time and these seemed to be the best with a wide almost square footprint and great traction. I use it for lawn mowing 2+ acres, brush hogging 2 acres, driveway maint. of 2 gravel drives 1/4 mile long, and snow removal on gravel, asphalt, and concrete. They have performed very well. I would not want R4's on my lawn which was newly planted last year and is very soft farm land. I have rutted the lawn from the weight of the FEL on when mowing while the ground was wet. The rutting is not very bad and only noticeable when mowing across. Nothing that can be seen but it bothers me. I like a well manicured lawn. I was just too lazy to take off the FEL. I should have at least dropped the bucket.

I really taxed the R4’s last spring cutting in drainage swales along 90 feet of my drive. I have a varied mix of soil types along the fron of my property with good brown dirt, rocky dirt, brown clay, and fractured shale. I have had the bucket fully loaded and have pushed 3' high piles of dirt without losing traction, etc. Loss of traction was never a problem in my mind.

The only problem I see is that I went with the quick attach bucket which added weight to the bucket and for the mounting plate on the loader arms. Tire flex with the bucket loaded with the tooth bar on was excessive. It bothered me to the point that I wish I had not gotten the quick attach but I have not had problems with the breaking the bead.

I feel these turfs are excellent. I am looking at putting Industrials on the front for heavy dirt & snow work which I will post in the NH Operating forum in the next few days to offset the added weight.

…Derek