loud tractor

/ loud tractor #1  

jimmysisson

Veteran Member
Tractor
1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)
My old MF 135 with low exhaust was a 3-cylinder Perkins, and had a moderate amount of exhaust noise. My newer Ford 2120 has a 4-cyl. Shibaura engine with a stack that bellows beyond its actual displacement would indicate. I think the muffler is intact, though it's 13 years old (original). This one makes more noise than a JD 410 industrial backhoe with 3x the power. I know as a lifelong carpenter my hearing is poorer than others' might be, and I'm sensitive to loud sounds. I don't even like walking near this machine idling without earmuffs on. I like everything else about it; size, handling, power, but it is pretty barky. Does anyone think a muffler would help this? Any other suggestions?
Happy New Year, Jim

/ loud tractor #2  
If the sound bothers you that much I can't imagine not trying a new muffler. Unless you're stuck on original equipment, I'd check auto parts stores for a reasonable facsimile. I got a muffler/stack combo from NAPA that was close enough for me and considerably cheaper than the Kubota part. With mine it wasn't that it was too noisy, it was rusted out.

/ loud tractor #3  
If there is any way to mount the exhaust lower and pointed to the ground like newer tractors, that would make a huge difference. The ground absorbs most of the sound and really helps the noise.

/ loud tractor #4  
I'm with jimainiac.

I also have sensitive hearing from over exposure to STEREO. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But this is in the higher frequency ranges as these are the sound pitches that you will notice failing or "ringing" (normally) first. Unless for some bizarre reason you have been subjected to high power incredibly low frequency sounds for extended periods.

I have no problems with my tractors lower growl. Therefore, without actually hearing your tractor, I would also suggest replacing muffler.

My two cents.

Vic

Although what Dmace says definitely also has some weight as my exhaust is out the bottom of the tractor. Would be much louder if exhausted vertically out the top like some of the older or more powerful machines.

/ loud tractor #5  
I have a Ford 1520 at work It has the 3 cyl engine . I unbolted the exhaust and turned it 90 degrees and faced it forward, it was in the stack position, then it turned the spout towards the ground. Its quieter and the exhaust doesnt get in my face.

/ loud tractor #6  
Do you have a front end loader on it? I'd like to try on mine to see if the muffler hits the loader frame. Mine seems loud too, maybe the cab amplifies the sound. Thanks,

/ loud tractor #7  
A more expensive option is to add a turbo. That will significantly reduce the noise.

/ loud tractor #8  
You ever think about using ear plugs ??

/ loud tractor #9  
I feel your pain, loud tractors are a lot less fun to operate as are quiet ones. My last tractor was a 3 cyl ford 2000 diesel and man was it loud. I tried a new exhaust and rotating it forward, but the only way I could comfortably operate it was with ear plugs or at reduced RPMS. Except for the reduced power and fuel economy, I sure missed my old 8n. My new JD 4120 with its turbocharged 4 cyl diesel and under-frame exhaust is quieter than the old 8n was and has restored the quiet fun to tractor operation on my farm. When shopping for a replacement tractor, which is probably the only way to solve your problem, get it up to maximum RPMS and make sure the sound is tolerable before making the buy.

/ loud tractor #10  
New diesel mufflers don't have much in them to restrict air flow. Old mufflers may have even less. I use good earplugs(roll them before inserting) from the gun dept. at Walmart AND headphone ear protection.