??The most popular tractor in the world??

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #21  
I'll guess the Model #1 Fordson Tractor. It was the first mass produced tractor made with nearly 750,000 copies.
Here is an interesting link.
Do I win? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world??
A little quiz:

What is the most popular (owned) tractor in the world? Lets see how many get this right.

Hint: I own one.

I muddied the water a little bit, I should have not inserted the word owned. When I said I owned one, I do. I wasn't trying to be model specific, just brand specific.

Cliff Johns was close-
GreenRules got it right on-
SWB got it-
George 2615 got it also.

Massey Ferguson has the honor of the most tractors sold in the WORLD.

Personally, I think they are stone ugly. My 1085 is, but for utility, you can't beat it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I always thought it was JD until I found out otherwise the other day.

Please note: I make no claim to the Percheron Draft Horses, they belong to my wife Amy. I am allergic to horses. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #24  
The link to the Fordson tractor is at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. I have been there several times and it is a very interesting place. I would recommend it to anyone visiting the Detroit area. It is next door to/part of Greenfield Village, an early 20th century exhibit of original buildings including the Wright Brothers bicycle shop and Thomas Edison's Laboratory where he invented the electric light bub. It also has trains and farming exhibits. A very worthwhile stop. If you go, plan on spending the whole day. You still won't see everything.

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world??
Spend a day at Henry Ford's in Dearborn, take the Rouge Ford Factory tour and shoot another day at Cabela's in Dundee, south of Ann Arbor.

After you get touristed out, come 3 miles south of Cabelas and stop at the farm for dinner and a visit with the Percherons. They have Percherons at Fords place in Dearborn too.

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do we know yet whether the question is Conglomerate, Manufacturer, Brand, Family, Model Family, or Specific model. (and even at that: Brand/model recognition or actual units produced)?

In the latter of both cases, I'd say the Farmall H (300,000, just under 400,000 or over 400,000 depending how exact exact model is) is hard to beat - probably even worldwide. Else, don't even have a guess. )</font>

The N series of Fords outsold the H by a 100,000 or more. I own an H, they & the M were the mainstays on farms all across the midwest & were part of the modernization of agriculture.

I agree the question is too broad & not defined, so I stayed out of it. But, it's a day after NYE now, so I can break my resolutions.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

'Most popular' does not really relate to hard sales numbers. However, 'tractor' would imply a single model or series at the most, not a brand or manufaturer of all sales combined.

As such, the Ford N series of tractors was revolutionary, sold by far the most units in it's day, and lasted for many years on the market. It still enjoys some of the most solid support & vast numbers of the machines _in use_ by users around the world - and that is over 60 years after it was introduced! As such, I would have to say that is the _most popular_ tractor in the world.

Most in demand these days is a John Deere 4020 diesel. List that on your farm auction sale, and you will agree it is a _most popular_ item in the USA. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you want to talk shear production numbers, and not 'popular' exactly, perhaps some MF/ MH/ Eastern Bloc tractor has the most raw numbers of units sold of a particular model. I couldn't identify which tho.

--->Paul

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #27  
I would have guessed Massey Ferguson by the most popular brand.
If we were going most popular model I'd say either a Massey Ferguson 135 or a John Deere 4020.

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #28  
Daryl,
I'm gonna mess with you some on the choice of words! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The most popular is not necessarily the most units made or sold. Several people know of tractors but don't own any. For example, if you ask any of my family members, they would say Kubota or John Deere as they do not really know of any other brands. It would still make those units "popular" but not show up on any stats.
I'm just messing with you having fun, but that was good info. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif No harm intended just good fun.

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #29  
I'm not saying that you are wrong, and I have no desire to try to research the subject, but I do not have a Massey dealership in my local area and I've never seen a Massey tractor in person. I've owned well over a dozen tractors, been on a hundred or so, and have seen thousands. They must be really popular in other areas than where I live and where I've traveled.

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #30  
Massey Ferguson produced tractors in Turkey and a few other obscure parts of the world for years. They built what was essentially a re-hash of what they sold in the US market. It was a popular line in emerging 3rd world countries, due to its relative low cost. They sold millions of 'em.

In the US, the old Fordson was the #1 seller in terms of units. Next was the 2-9-8N series Ford. After that, it all depends on who you want to believe. The A-B-C-H-M series IH tractors sold a bunch. So did the model B John Deere. The 135 Massey was a popular model. The 4020 Deere sold in high numbers relative to all other 100 HP tractors of its time, but isn't anywhere near the totals of the Fordson.

There's popular "all-time", then there's popular "in its time".

Every brand has its claim to market share numbers. You have to include AG equipment (implements/combines, ect) consumer equipment (lawn mowers/tillers/snow blowers, ect) and even construction equipment to get a true handle on who's the "largest" or "most successful" in the business.

Then there's that often ignored concept of BOTTOM LINE.

If you read enough adds, enough trade publications, listen to enough sales and marketing execs, THEY'RE ALL #1!