rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid

/ rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid #1  

kljunior

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 JD 2305
I'm going to try and fill the tires on my 2305. I have read a couple of threads regarding the procedure as well as various liquids that can be used. I think I would like to keep the tires tubeless, so a tire can be plugged in the field.

The rim guard sounds nice; non toxic and non corrosive.

1: What kind of money for say 20 gallons of rim guard?

ww fluid (winter mix) sounds interesting although lighter than water and readily available but;

2: Can ww fluid be corrosive to the rims?

3: Can the methanol or other additives damage the rubber?

Used automotive antifreeze sounds like an option also. Should be easy enough to come by, inexpensive, and non corrosive. I'm thinking this is a good option although the toxicity concerns me some, I just have to make sure it stays in the tire.

Anyone have bad experiences with any of these fluids in a tire?
Any other fluids that I might not have considered? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid #2  
I don't have an exact price, but the only disadvantage of the RimGard is its the most expensive of the three.

The WW fluid is the cheapest and very safe, its non-corrosive and non toxic, only disadvantage is its weight .

Antifreeze is expensive, and can be much more hazardous, its toxic and flammable.

I don't think any of the choices will damage the rubber or rims.

/ rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid #3  
If you wanted the best weight vs$ spent.. go with rv holding tank antifreeze... get the non toxic stuff.. then you have a higher than water- weigth.. non toxic.. and cheaper than beet juice..

Soundguy

/ rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid
Rv antifreeze uses only phosphate as a corrosion inhibitor. This is a problem as it is designed to be replaced annually and does not protect from corrosion long term.

/ rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid
are there corrosion inhibitors in ww fluid? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid #6  
We use the RimGuard here. It is a bit more expensive but meets all of our needs.

Maka

/ rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid #7  
Where do you find the weight of the RV antifreeze? and how much higher than water?

For cost involved, and ease of use, and no worries about corrosion, I go with the windshield washer fluid. $1 a gallon, and if busting off a valve stem (did that in the woods) there is little loss of $$ and no harm to the environment (if ww fluid was harmful, we wouldn't be able to use it to spray on our car windows, IMO). Not as heavy as water, nor as heavy as the RimGuard, but cheaper and works well.

/ rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid #8  
You don't know by chance of any place or any way (bulk?) to get a deal on RimGuard, do you? If I load my tires, RimGuard is the way I'll go. It is quite a bit heavier and has no downside other than cost. I'd love to find a place that would sell it in 100 gallon drums or something like that on the cheap. I'd be up for a road trip to get that! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid #9  
Apparently the company making it will not sell other than to dealers that have signed on with them. However, you might be able to find a dealer who will sell you the stuff (some mention about the dealer also needs a special tool to inject the Rim Guard).

I wouldn't have been too happy when I was 250 miles from home and popped off the valve core stem at my son's place. As it was, I loaded the tractor on the trailer and went to an IH dealer who fixed the valve stem and replaced the lost ww fluid. If I'd been loaded with Rim Guard, and the 'dealer' wasn't close by, I don't know what would have taken place. In fact, I don't wanna even guess what would have had to have taken place. Nuther reason I'll stick to ww fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But the extra weight would be nice too.

/ rim guard, anti-freeze, or ww fluid #10  
Hmm, so there is another down side besides cost. Hot dang it! There's always a catch isn't there! I think I'd still like it if it just didn't cost so dang much though. Especially if I were to lose a tire full like what you mention could happen.