Made in China chain ??

/ Made in China chain ?? #1  

Trap

Tractor
Kubota B7610,
I know I opening up a can of worms here. But, I have never heard what the real problem is with using the Chinese made chain. Looking at a grade 70, 3/8", for booming down a 24 HP tractor. Can it be that bad? Don't hit me too hard , just asking.

/ Made in China chain ?? #2  
Nothing wrong with it as long as your park is in shanghai

/ Made in China chain ?? #3  
Hi Trap:

I've only owned my chains for a couple of weeks now (my first).

I purchased a set of tire chains from www.tractortirechains.com, I looked and asked around first. The price they asked for some I liked better than standard ladder chains ('agricultural duo') was $199 (another $30 for shipping). Both of the local shops I checked were at least $100 more - for ladder chains. They wanted more even more for this type! The excuse they gave was that "the chains I was looking at were made in China and not worth a @#!$%"

I called the internet store and asked to talk to someone about the chains. He told me that they are case hardened steel, and that the chains were imported. He added that everyone imports them now.

I've also purchased 5/16" grade 70 tow chain, paying full price obstensibly because it was good quality steel. But how do we really know?

I guess time will tell if my tire chains were a good value or not. Good luck with your decision & purchase.
Bruce.

/ Made in China chain ?? #4  
I would think if it was graded grade 70 it would have to be or else the DOT or somebody else would be involved... Just my opinion..

/ Made in China chain ?? #5  
Have used Harbor Freight chain for more than a couple of years now. Don't own a trailer so we don't use them for securing the TC40D but we have used them for everything else including heavy vertical lifting, and log skidding before we built the bucket grapple. Everyone has his or her opinion on chain but we're happy and used the money that we saved elsewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Made in China chain ?? #6  
One issue of buying imported steel items is that if they turn out not to be up to spec and fail, your recourse in litigation is probably limited to the retailer and the importer, not the actual manufacturer. The importer will not have a lot of liability for negligence (and thus consequential damages) because they are just selling them as marked by the manufacturer.

Of course, if your chains fail, are you going to go have them tested to see if they meet spec?

I would use what I call a margin of ignorance. Since you don't know exactly how strong the chain REALLY is, buy the next size up for an extra margin of safety.

FYI, in general, grade 70 chains are not rated for overhead lifting - most manufacturers recommend grade 80 or 100 for that.

- Rick

/ Made in China chain ?? #7  
<font color="blue"> FYI, in general, grade 70 chains are not rated for overhead lifting - most manufacturers recommend grade 80 or 100 for that. </font>

Small point, and correct me if I am wrong on this, but my understanding is that there is a difference between "overhead" and "vertical" lifting.

Vertical lifts would be picking something up, which we all do when we use the chain hooks on our loader to lift something.

Overhead lifting relates to using chain with cranes that lift loads over equipment, buildings and so on.

Doesn't matter where the chain is made, grade 70 should never be used for overhead lifting, but it should be just fine for use in any direction (within grade 70 design limits) when hooked to our tractors.

<font color="blue">I would use what I call a margin of ignorance. Since you don't know exactly how strong the chain REALLY is, buy the next size up for an extra margin of safety. </font>

Keeney's chain rule of thumb...works for me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Made in China chain ?? #8  
Henro:

Seems to me that in some places one cannot use chain for overhead work with cranes as there is no way to tell if the chain has been stain hardened. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Made in China chain ?? #9  
My characterization of "overhead" lifting would be along the lines of "if it falls, somebody may cry."

Vertical lifting would be characterized as "if it falls, somebody will merely cuss".

- Rick

/ Made in China chain ?? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One issue of buying imported steel items is that if they turn out not to be up to spec and fail, your recourse in litigation is probably limited to the retailer and the importer, not the actual manufacturer. The importer will not have a lot of liability for negligence (and thus consequential damages) because they are just selling them as marked by the manufacturer.

Of course, if your chains fail, are you going to go have them tested to see if they meet spec?

I would use what I call a margin of ignorance. Since you don't know exactly how strong the chain REALLY is, buy the next size up for an extra margin of safety.

FYI, in general, grade 70 chains are not rated for overhead lifting - most manufacturers recommend grade 80 or 100 for that.

- Rick
)</font>

A judgement against COSCO wouldn't be a bad deal, they've a lot of assets here.