Repair cost estimate?

/ Repair cost estimate? #1  

rlee6

Silver Member
Tractor
Allmand 8435 HST (TYM T330 HST)
I am in the market now. I cannot afford a new one. Have to buy a used one. I have read things like, don't buy smoking one, don't buy if clutch slips, don't buy if brake doesn't work, don't buy if 3 pt hitch falls, etc.

I can avoid all these. Or, if I know how much it costs to repair, I can widen my search. For instance, the engine smokes a little but others are okay. You know what I mean.

Please kindly teach me on major tractor repair items and repair costs (even your guestimate would be better than not having any number at all). My target is about 30hp, 4wd, about 1000 hours. Thank you.

/ Repair cost estimate? #2  
Yup - avoid all of those. Something wrong if there is such on a machine of 1000 hours. Means it was not well taken care of. Other things ready to fail.

Maybe brakes wouldn't be too bad to repair. Bad tranny or bad engine - forget it!

Going to depend on the brand, too. Some parts are high, some have, for example, very complicated or very easy brakes, etc.

What you want to do works well for an old USA tractor 40+ years old. You will not be happy trying to do such with a compact. You would need to do your own work to make any of it pay off.

A compact tractor of 30 hp, 1000 hours, in good shape should be $3000 - 6000. A bad engine can cost you that alone to get repaired.

IMHO

--->Paul

/ Repair cost estimate? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A compact tractor of 30 hp, 1000 hours, in good shape should be $3000 - 6000. )</font>

If you find a used late model Kubota, JD, NH, MF, or Kioti CUT with those specs in that price range please let all of us know where it is so we can race over there and buy it. That price range is totally unrealistic for those brands. For the big 5 with fel you are probably talking around $12,000 minimum, without fel probably around $10,000.

A tractor with 1000 hours is still a young puppy with plenty of life left. My 5 year old Kubota has almost 1000 hours and my dealer recently had a similar one that he was asking $13,000 for.

/ Repair cost estimate? #4  
In so far as I know, there is no "hard and fast rule" on how much a given problem will cost to remedy on all brands of tractors. Some are easier to repair than others. Some dealers/shops charge more (or less) than others. But there are a few things that hold true across the board.

One is major engine work is expensive. Even if you can do it yourself, parts are high. Machine shop labor is costly when you have enough of it done. Transmission troubles can be expensive. ESPECIALLY with todays hydro's and multi-range trannies. Most will require a dealer (factory trained) mechanic, or at the very least a GOOD (read costly) repair shop.

Hydraulic problems can add up, but they usually deflate the priceof a tractor far in excess of actual repair cost. People get scared off by 3-point hitches or loaders that don't work. USUALLY, they are an easy fix (to someone who knows what to do) That isn't to say every shop will charge in line with the degree of difficulty.

Tires are another item that lower the value of a used tractor far more than actual value. I've seen people pay premium dollar for a worn-out piece of junk because it had new tires. And I've seen a few mighty nice tractors get passed over because of worn rubber.

But be forwarned. I've seen many a used tractor have far more than the actual value spent to bring it back to "like new condition". You really have to know your tractors to do well in that market. More than one person has spent $15,000 to have a nice $10,000 used tractor.

/ Repair cost estimate?
I am learning as I read your replies. A 30hp, less than 1000 hrs, with fel, will cost me $8-12K. Let me summarize what I have learned so far:

1) engine: smoking: stay away, too costly (thousands of $)
2) transmission: grinding, not engaging smoothly: stay away, too costly (thousands of $)
3) hydraulics: fel, 3ph, hoses: not to be scared, repair cost reasonable (hundreds of $)
4) tires, brake, clutch: about $1000 for each repair.

If I am way off the mark, please advise. Thanks.

/ Repair cost estimate? #6  
Price depends on region as well as previously mentioned factors. To give you a baseline however, 4 years ago I paid $6500 to a dealer for my 27HP Kubota with loader, and 1500 hrs. It had a 90 day warrantee, which they explained was simply to give me a chance to check for major problems.
Since then I've put about 400 hours on it and replaced the seal in the hydraulic pump, and the water pump. It has some issues; mostly wiring, and could use a new seat; but has been a good tractor so far.

/ Repair cost estimate? #7  
Hello, I'm just curious what your definition of "smoking" is. Most diesels smoke some especially if it's cold out, working hard and how the fuel is refined. A smoking gasoline engine is a definite bad sign, maybe looking at bad rings, valve seals etc. I agree with the hydraulic statements, that is how I got mine so cheap and now that I fixed it for the price of a couple gallons of hydro oil life is good. Small electical problems may be an easy fix too, mine wouldn't start well because of corroded terminals. It starts every time now. Happy tractor hunting.

/ Repair cost estimate? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ( A compact tractor of 30 hp, 1000 hours, in good shape should be $3000 - 6000. )

If you find a used late model Kubota, JD, NH, MF, or Kioti CUT with those specs in that price range please let all of us know where it is so we can race over there and buy it. That price range is totally unrealistic for those brands. For the big 5 with fel you are probably talking around $12,000 minimum, without fel probably around $10,000.

A tractor with 1000 hours is still a young puppy with plenty of life left. My 5 year old Kubota has almost 1000 hours and my dealer recently had a similar one that he was asking $13,000 for.
)</font>

In my area, a 400 hour 27 hp tractor with 4wd, loader sells for $12,000 from the dealer.

At 1000 hours, no loader (none was mentioned in the first message.....) that would typically be one or 2 generations older machine, and would sell for, 2/3 price, or $8000. Without the loader (you generally lose any hyd ports/ controls as well), $6000 is a pretty fair price.

No mention was made of 4wd, and a 30 hp compact tractor with 1000 hours without 4wd, no loader, no hyd ports, would not be over $4000.

Got my machine for $12000 as listed above, & last year saw 2 machines without loaders, one generation older, listed for $4000-4500. Probably sold for right near $4000 average with proper dickering.

That is here, in southern Minnesota. I understand conditions are different in different areas, and I agree with what you have to say. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Tho, compact tractors lose their value more quickly than bigger, utility or ag class machines. At least, around here. Those front wheel hubs tend to wear out, & are very $$$ or not available any more, and so on.

--->Paul

/ Repair cost estimate?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Those front wheel hubs tend to wear out, & are very $$$ or not available any more, and so on.

--->Paul )</font>How can I check the wear? Shake the wheel just like on a car? Thanks.