How do you properly use brakes for turning and why

/ How do you properly use brakes for turning and why #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Applying a right or left wheel brake while in 4wd will not produce the result it will in 2WD. )</font>

If you had just made that statement, I would have to agree. I think differential braking works better/easier in 2WD, but it is very effective and safe in MFWD also.

Very few of our CUTs are true 4WD. At best, with differential lock, we get 3WD. I can't tell you how many times I've been in MFWD and looked down to see one rear wheel turning and one front wheel turning and two tires just sitting there because they had more traction than the ones turning. Would you say this is bad on the differential? I don't think so. I think most people would say the differential is working just like it should. Then why would you think it's bad on the driveline if I force this same circumstance with one of the rear brakes?

**** Here is why:

When you are in 4wd with a compact tractor the front and rear axle driveshafts are locked together, rotating at constant speed.

You have differentials in front and rear but none in the center. That's why you rip the grass turning in 4wg - by the way - the front axle needs to run a little faster in the turn but there is no diff to allow that so the wheels are skidded on the turf.

Anyway, when you are in 4wd you will indeed always see one front and one rear wheel spin. You won't normally see a single wheel spin.

The reason? With a constant input speed from the drive shaft for one wheel to speed up (spin) the opposite wheel has to slow down (stop). But with 4wd engaged the opposite wheel won't stop because the front axle is pulling you along. Unless it loses traction on one wheel, too, in which case you are stuck with one front wheel and one rear wheel spinning.

In that circumstance stepping on the brake for the spinning rear wheel will transfer power to the other rear wheel and you may well drive out of the situation.

But if you are not stuck stepping on one brake increases the stress on the driveline because all the other wheels are still turning at the constant rate.

It will tend to turn you into the direction of braking but less effectively than if you were in 2wd and with considerably more stress.

For that reason if you are not stuck it's better to do brake turns in 2wd.

But if you are stuck in 4dw applying one brake may well get you out.

Hope that explanation helps.

If I'm in loose or soft soil, it is surely not hard on the driveline (beyond design) to do this kind of "turn assist" braking. In many instances, we are not talking about oversteering, but just keeping the front end from understeering. Granted, the end-row spin around is going to happen with a locked tire, but that will be in field soil and tire slip on the front should be aided by the weight of the raised implement on the 3PH.

I use differential braking a lot on my tractor and my driveline responds well in 4WD and 2WD. I have noticed that in 2WD there seems to be less front end push and it's a little easier to produce oversteer if I step down on the brake.

Essentially, I'd say I would not recommend using MFWD on hard surfaces or pavement. It goes without saying that I would not use MFWD and differential steering on those surfaces. I'd first change to 2WD. In dirt or especially in tilled or loose soil, I just use differential braking anytime I need it. )</font>

I think you have it right above. The stress on the driveline will probably not exceed the design limits as you say. But stress has a cumulative effect on the gears so you may do that fine for 5 years and one day the teeth strip off the gear for seemingly no reason - it was a failure from accumulated stress.

Given the lack of a center differential, you are placing significantly increased stress on your driveline anytime you run in 4wd on hard ground when you don't need it.

Most of the time, for most jobs, 2wd will suffice as proven by the experience of all the farmers up to the advent of 4wd in recent times.

Your equipment will last longer in 2wd in most cases because of the lack of a center differential.

/ How do you properly use brakes for turning and why #22  
It's the oly way to steer when the the log on the back has lifted the front tires off the ground.

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How do you properly use brakes for turning and why #23  
If this was already said I appologize....................keep in mind turning with one brake is skid steering so if you don't want to tear up the ground your working on try to refrain from using this type of braking. Also, if you have the machine loaded with weight (three point hitch implement, backhoe, loaded FEL ect) a stomp of one brake pedal CAN shear the rivets of the brake disk which looks like a clutch plate. this is you have wet brakes. Not common but I have seen it

/ How do you properly use brakes for turning and why #24  
I stand corrected. What I should have said is: On my Kioti, using one side of the brake or the other, I can pivot the tractor on the braked wheel and turn extremely tightly in 2wd. In 4wd, the brakes still work but the front wheels tend to pull the tractor forward at the same time and don't allow the same pivoting type turn, ; but it is a little better than without using the brakes.

/ How do you properly use brakes for turning and why #25  
After all the time I've spent on here trying to get guys to understand that I need the steering brakes, I was glad to see this thread.

All I have to add is a couple thoughts that haven't been touched on: 1) Regarding the different speeds the wheels travel, they also travel different distances in the same time, each one rotates around the locked rear on it's own radius. 2) My Kubota is broken and cannot be taken out of 4wd. It was like that when I got it. I can and do use the turning brakes effectively, but definitely not on the little bit of hard surface I drive on when turning around to go back up the driveway. 3) At the OPS this weekend, Jeff (Kiohio on here) pointed out that Kioti's come with the lever connecting the two brakes bolted in place. He felt Kioti did not want the turning brakes used on their HST tractors. I asked if perhaps that was because some idiot would use them at road speed and roll over then sue Kioti but he didn't really know the reason. He also pointed out that it's very easy for an owner to remove the bolt and have the turning brakes work like everyone elses.

/ How do you properly use brakes for turning and why #26  
Yes, or lifting that one-ton-or-so rock with the rear scoop. I guess that would qualify for taking the load off of the drivetrain, if someone was really concerned. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've used if for nearly 18 years on two different 4wd tractors and wouldn't buy any size tractor without it. 2wd or 4wd, the front has to be able to slip/slide a little, or it just isn't going to do much. Even my Dad's old tricycle/caster front Ford 981 could't turn far enough to follow the radius created by braking a rear wheel. (probably a good thing or that top-heavy row-crop would have been flat on it's side /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif with some of the turns we've made.)

/ How do you properly use brakes for turning and why #27  
bncsuave,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...using one side of the brake or the other, I can pivot the tractor on the braked wheel and turn extremely tightly in 2wd. In 4wd, the brakes still work but the front wheels tend to pull the tractor forward at the same time and don't allow the same pivoting type turn, ; but it is a little better than without using the brakes.)</font>

My Kama turns exactly in this manner using the turning brakes....pivots on the braked wheel. However, in 4wd the turning radius is a LOT better than not using them at all. Only difference, in 4wd the fronts tend to "drag" the stopped rear wheel just a little so it is not quite as tight as in 2wd.

Robinson posted about the added strain in 4wd vs 2wd and I tend to agree with him to the point that the strain is not enough (in my usage) to worry about the wear and tear. If the limited slip feature is working correctly, I don't even worry about it. Heck, I tend to strain the tractor as it is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One thing for sure, the turning brakes don't turn with differential locked! I was working this weekend and had to use the differential lock climbing out of the usual mess I got into and instinctively used the turning brakes....no turn but almost came to a complete stop before realizing I had the differential lock on. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ How do you properly use brakes for turning and why #28  
Unless you have a very different type of 4wd system, the limited slip offers no protection in this case. The stress is in the transmission because the front wheels are pulling forward while the one rear is stopped and the other is spinning faster causing a gear ratio mismatch(stress on the trans)..The firmness of the working surface plays a large part in whether you do any dammage or not. Slippage is manditory in this case if you are running 4wd.

/ How do you properly use brakes for turning and why #30  
Hey Steven, have you tried that differential braking yet? I have this mental picture of you out in the middle of your field having a great time doing "donuts." Are you gonna tell us your results or just stay out there making crop circles all over Boerne? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif