Inquiring Minds!

/ Inquiring Minds! #1  

Jw5875

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
There are days that the door should be closed as to to keep some people out i.e "Hey can I borrow your ------ because I'm just down the road broke down and I'll bring it back" or "Can I use this for a few days"?

Well the door was open and since it was a fairly nice day, I decided to take one of our famous (which we all have) 3 lb. coffee cans out to the drive way, dump and look for ___---??? that we know we have from ???--- (and it is in our memory)

Along come a few of the local kids and stops to look, inquiring minds sees the machinery (Lathe, Drill Press, Milling Machine, Torches, Band Saw,Welder, and our usual collection of pieces of metal that we KNOW we can use for something). Along with the "Prodjects" we started. Now they see tractor pictures, parts and who knows what all from this conglomerate in my shop/garage.

"Hey Mister, What is that and what does it do"? pointing to the
drill press. Well I said, "You drill holes in metal on that machine"

The look on his face told me to be ready: "The "Sign on that (Drill Press) says 10" "Does that drill a hole 10" deep or 10" Wide"? So the next hour or so I tried to explain " --" drill press,
"--" lathes, "--" grinders and explain the "--" automobile wheel.

Now, I would like to know if "Vocational Skills" are still being taught in the schools in your area. I have a "Vocational Diploma" from my school system (60's era) i.e wood shop, mechanical drawing, metal shop, auto mechanics, with physical science and lots of math and English.

A long post, but if you should ever have "Inquiring Minds" be prepared to set them for the future!

jw5875

/ Inquiring Minds! #2  
That's how it goes today. If it's not controlled or operated by a computer or video gaming system, then they don't know how to use it or what it is. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Inquiring Minds! #3  
Jw5875:

Computers are nice ( we communicate here with them), but who is going to make the hard parts, the prototypes, someone has to build it first before machines (CNC) can produce it. Skilled trades are extinct. Yes, it can be designed via CAD, but, people who get their hands dirty are not here anymore, at least their numbers are declining everyday.

Disciplines like machine shop, pattern making and foundry aren't taught in public schools today because of the liability issue. A school system can't get liability insurance for that.

A very unfortunate scenario.

/ Inquiring Minds! #4  
I think it's part of a conspiracy to turn the U.S. into a backward third world nation dependent on the Chinese and Koreans. In the minds of many (not mine) 'It would serve us right'.

/ Inquiring Minds! #5  
It depends on the school district. I actually teach high school students woodworking, metalworking, drafting and electronics. I believe most schools still offer some form of vocational classes. Unfortunately, these classes are usually electives and most kids/parents don't see the relevance that these classes have for them.

Hopefully our society will see the light before china takes over. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Inquiring Minds! #6  
In our area Vocational training is offered at schools set up by several districts. BOCES Board of Cooperative Education Services. they have Auto , Carpentry, Machinist, Building Maint, Home Ecc., LPN, and some other courses. Unfortunately for years this is the area they sent kids who, were not "College Material" so it became a stigma to go there. Lately ( in the last 10 years) employers have started to see the value of looking at these schools for potential employees. The kids go half day to accidemic classes and half day to BOCES.

/ Inquiring Minds! #7  
I don't think they teach that stuff any more around here.

/ Inquiring Minds! #8  
Tools, tools???? Have you seen the expression on these kids faces when the cash register quits working at a restaurant? Why the majority of them have no idea how to make change from a 20 dollar bill for an $18.95 meal, and if you throw a hundred dollar bill at them, well forget about that!

I don't think it has anything to do with how much they are being taught, I think it has to do with how much they decide to absorb.

/ Inquiring Minds! #9  
Mike:

The rate of absorbtion depends on the amount of moisture already present in the parent material. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Inquiring Minds! #10  
I teach in Spring, a suberb of Houston. From what I've gathered, there is hardly any trades being taught in the large cities. The mindset is that everyone should go to college, although the failure and dropout rates shows otherwise. I gather from talking to other teachers that it is somewhat different in smaller towns or more rural areas.

I teach Tech Ed. It is mostly a computer based class that teaches robotics, CADD, engineering in various forms, and some electricity. On my own, I also teach measurement and addition and subtraction of feet and inches in whole numbers and fractions of an inch. I butt my head against a wall for 2 weeks doing it, but I feel the students need to understand measurement.

I do have a woodshop attached to my class, but I am supposed to teach the computer lab first and do only a few projects in the shop. My district also does not fund any woodshop projects, instead requiring me to collect money from the students for their projects.

I do not like the way education is and is headed, but I have faith in our young that they will do the best they can with what they get. They are who we were, and are.