Best ground breaking method?

/ Best ground breaking method? #1  

smokedtires

Bronze Member
Hi all, I'm wanting to start digging the to remove about 4-5" for a stone driveway on some land I bought. It will be a minimum of 100' because of deed restriction. I have a JD4100 that is a 20hp diesel with a frontend loader and Cat1 3ph and a drawbar. I'm thinking it would be best to break the groung 1st, then scoop the dirt with the FEL. So what would be the best way for me to go about this? Thanks!

/ Best ground breaking method? #2  
Whatta you have to work with? I've done essentially the same thing, using a 6' tiller to loosen up the dirt first, then drag it off with a box blade and loader. You could use a plow if you have one. Maybe even use the rippers on your box blade. Tiller worked better than anything else I've tried though.

/ Best ground breaking method? #3  
Smoked, If you are in a rocky region of NY you may have to modify your plan of attack... A tiller might self destruct on a heavy stone diet! I do however think a plow would be a fiesable alternative or even a sub-soiler or perhaps the little less rock durable middle buster(also cheaper than a tiller)...but a box scraper is always a good investment, I wish I had one /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If you have any of these implements you could be on your way..

Just Ideas, good or bad ,you make the choice , Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Best ground breaking method? #4  
I thought the best ground breaking method was to wear a nice suit and use a golden shovel. I see that all the time in the newspapers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Best ground breaking method? #5  
Best thing is a tiller or rotary plow (think only Gravely had these), then scoop out with the FEL. Could rent a big tiller to do this.

Next best is a toothbar on the FEL or teeth on a box blade in "down" position. Don't think the 4100 has the moxy/weight to push the FEL in level position to get the dirt out. What you can do is to do it little by little by using up curl and a little forward motion. I've scooped out dirt with my 4010/410 this way. You can get more force via the up curl than you can via the wheels/push. Start with the FEL angled down a little bit, lower, go forward slightly and up curl, all at the same time.

Another possibility is a back blade on a tilt (set via the levelling screw on the 3 ph). Make several grooves with it and scoop out the loose stuff with a FEL or push to the side with the blade swung to do this.

/ Best ground breaking method? #6  
If I had that long of a new drive to put in I would pick up a cheap used moldboard plow. Plow it and then scoop the loose dirt out. It works well and cuts down on the time it takes.

/ Best ground breaking method? #7  
Here's a benchmark for you.

I have a Kubota B7510HST (21 HP engine) with an LA302 FEL (48" wide) and a KK box blade (also 48" wide).

Last week I excavated a path for a paver block walkway from the driveway to the front porch steps, about 4.5 ft wide x 70 ft long and 6" deep.

Used the box blade with the scarifiers all the way down to loosen the soil, which was really damp because of all the rain we've had here in the North Valley.

Then I used the FEL with a Markham toothbar to dig the rest of the way. Took me about 2.5 hours to get it the way I wanted it.

Last April I had a driveway installed (20 ft wide, 260 ft long with 6" thick roadbase gravel). The contractor used a JD 210LE tractor (73 net HP, 86" wide) with FEL and a box blade with hydraulic scarifiers. Took Mike, the operator, about 90 minutes to do the excavation. The ground was soft enough and the box blade was a heavy beast, so he didn't have to use the scarifiers.

Looks to me like you have an all-day job ahead of you with your CUT.

Attachments

• 821239-Driveway-removing the turf-small.JPG
    821239-Driveway-removing the turf-small.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 230
   / Best ground breaking method? #8  
I know you want to do it yourself, but check into the cost of hiring a guy with a small dozer for the job. Around here, the going rate is about $125 per hour from when they leave the shop 'til they get back. Most of them can give you a firm price for the job if you prefer. You might save a lot of wear and tear on the tractor if you have seriously rocky soil.

How far are you going to move the dirt you take out?

/ Best ground breaking method?
I know that I'll need to buy some implements as I go which I don't mind, I just want to buy the right ones. It looks like the advertiser above sells the tiller which isn't as bad a price as I feared it would be, not sure about shipping though.

I like the thought of buying something and having it later for things like gardens or landscaping after the house is built. It looks like either a box blade, or mold board may be a good consideration for this. I plan on working there on the weekends and taking my time doing this as I have no rush at this time.

Thanks everyone for your replys and feedback.

/ Best ground breaking method? #10  
I bought a used 2 bottom plow to loosen the sod in my back yard remodel project last fall. It makes moving dirt with the FEL a breeze. Problem was finding a used plow. They are hard to come by around here and when you do find one they are pricey. I went to a large used farm equipment dealer and bought the cheapest one I could find and it was still $250. I'll use it for the garden this year and in the future so I didn't mind the price. They are handy to have around. You will need a 1 bottom plow for your tractor. They are even harder to find. Good luck.

Attachments

• 821506-P1010024 (Small).JPG
    821506-P1010024 (Small).JPG
    83 KB · Views: 223