How do you park your tractor?

/ How do you park your tractor? #1  

MarcusCarr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
I just parked my tractor in neutral, FEL in the float position and the backhoe retracted (like it is when driving around).

How should I park the tractor?
Is it ok that the backhoe is in the up position?

Now that I think about it, I park the cars in first gear...tractors are probably the same.

Thanks,
Marcus

/ How do you park your tractor? #2  
Do you have a hydro or gear transmission. I have hydro, I am always park on level ground and I use my parking brake.

As far as your back hoe or loader I think they both would settle down after a while anyway. Another thing to think about is safety. I would not leave any implement up for some kid to come along and either play with the controls or get under the implement and have it leak down.

murph

/ How do you park your tractor? #3  
It all depends on the grade level of the ground you are parking on. If there is no chance that the tractor will roll away, then neutral is OK. With a gear drive tractor on a light incline low gear should be OK. With a Hydro drive the parking brakes should be set as the hydro will not hold it. As far as the FEL and BH up or down, I would want them to be in a postion where, if kids were around and they could get on the tractor and move the levers, nothing would move if the control levers were moved.

/ How do you park your tractor? #4  
The ground under my shed is sloped. I back the tractor in as far as I can (depending on what is hanging off the 3PH), lower the FEL to the ground, 3PH all the way down, set the brake and put all gear levers in neutral and yank the kill knob. I was brought up to never park anything in gear. This was I think mainly because we had a couple of tractors on the farm that had to be cranked w/ a screwdriver across the solenoid. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How do you park your tractor? #5  
Putting the tractor in gear is a good idea although on level ground and with the FEL down, it becomes a moot point. Perhaps though, nuetral is a better choice. Years ago, while a fire was consuming a building, the owner's JD track loader started up and proceded to drive out of the building after the fire shorted the wireing out /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Remember: Safety first! The backhoe or any attachment should be lowered to the ground. Way back when I was first taught how to operate equipment, it was always stressed to release any hydraulic pressure. IE; drop your loader, backhoe,etc. to the ground, shut off the machine then work your hydraulic controls back and forth to release any pressure.

/ How do you park your tractor? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Remember: Safety first! The backhoe or any attachment should be lowered to the ground. Way back when I was first taught how to operate equipment, it was always stressed to release any hydraulic pressure. IE; drop your loader, backhoe,etc. to the ground, shut off the machine then work your hydraulic controls back and forth to release any pressure. )</font>
this is very good advice if "kids" are around that *will* "play with the levers" ... sally may just drop that boom on johnny.

/ How do you park your tractor? #7  
Good habits are 'good' to develop and lowering all hyd equipment is a good habit. The manual will very likely point that out as well as say to always use the parking brake. Even for a car it is a good habit. Park or 'in gear' doesn't always do it.
Might even be your own 'toes' or body underneath when inadvertent on-looker (not even a kid) would get curious about the controls on the tractor and 'play' with the joy stick. Boom! down it goes. Whoops, didn't mean to do that! Ouch! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ How do you park your tractor? #8  
Here is how not to park one....

Attachments

• 821653-P1010628 (Small).JPG
    821653-P1010628 (Small).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 617
   / How do you park your tractor? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it ok that the backhoe is in the up position? )</font>

I'd be suprised if your hoe didn't have a pin that is to be inserted when in transport mode so the hoe isn't hanging on the hydraulics. The pin should be in when the tractor is parked. This keeps the hoe from slowly droping to the ground.

If you have no such pin, and there is no place for one, then you should park the tractor with the bucket on the ground.

Cliff

/ How do you park your tractor? #10  
Mine is parked on level ground inside a temporay car port, dirt floor. I always lower the FEL and the 3pt attachment. Nuetral and parking brake. Shut of the gas valve. My backhoe is laid out "flat" when taken off the tractor, but when I leave it on for the next day's work, I don't lower it. I keep it raised and tucked and latch lock it into position with the hitch pins. They are plenty strong as I've tried to lower the boom having forgotten to take them out and it will not move.