Soil prep tools for new construction lawns?

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #11  
Doesn't take much power to operate the rake, but takes some lifting power to raise it. I suspect a 4' rake would work, but not knowing the tractor specs of what you are talking about, I can't speculate more. But something worthwhile to check into, IMO.

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #12  
The Harley T5 Power Box Rake Harley T5 Rake would seem to be the right size for a CK20. The 3pt lift capacity on the CK20 is over 1000lbs and the T5 model weighs 550lbs. T5 model has a raking width of 56" and Harley recommends that model for tractors up to 22hp.

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #13  
In ALL the lawn installs I've done, there was some dirt needing moved. If you're talking 20 feet, move it with the box blade. If we're talking 200 feet, the loader comes in to play. Filling flower beds, around sidewalks, and any other hard-to-reach places must be filled with a loader or a shovel and wheel barrow. Take your pick.

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #14  
My choices would be Box Blade with gauge wheels, rake and tiller.

I'm also going to assume the grading you start with will look good but upon closer examination that may not be the case and some soil may have to hauled in.

Box blade rippers to find all the buried goodies and loosen soil. Tiller to break up and loosen the soil some more. Box blade and bucket to move dirt and start the real leveling process. Tiller at differ angled passes to loosen and help level soil. Rake to finish it off.

Egon

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #15  
We use a TR3 rake from Absolute Innovations. You can look it up on the web. We pull it with a CK20 (3.5' model) and it is the perfect size for the tractor. About 1/3 the cost of a Harley Rake. Takes a few more passes than a Harley Rake, but does a good job. Has a floating box blade that you can lock to move dirt if needed.

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns?
Icisled

I was doing some looking at the T3, and find it very interesting. I ordered the video and look forward to seeing it. I was trying to get a look at a demo in action as I am 1hr from the main office, and 2.5 hours from the factory. The sales guy was helpful, but would not provide an opportunity to see it in action. He suggests I buy it and then retrun if I am not satisfied. I prefer to see it first.

Tell me if you could, how does it do in very compacted clay? How long would you expect a 1/4 acre property to take using the T3? Any other info would be very helpful.

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #17  
I have experience with the Toro soil cultivator attachment for the Toro Dingo. Its a small diameter tiller that spins at a higher speed. It doesn't go more than a few inches deep, but chops up any plant material or dirt clods into a fine fluffy soil. It has a mesh roller to bury smaller rocks. After a single pass with that unit, no further work was required.

I don't know if anybody makes anything like that for a compact tractor.

-Rick

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #18  
The TR3 has a floating box blade, scarifing teeth, and finishing fingers. We have worked compacted construction lots, etc. with it. If the soil conditions are not too wet, it does a nice job of breaking it up into small particles and levelling. There are a number of different adjustments on the machine. Once you get it set it does a nice job. Until you understand how to adjust it, it can be frustrating. Get a hydraulic 3rd link, that will help.
I would say a 10,000 sq. ft. area that is compacted would take at most an hour to break up and level. If the finish grade was completed and the soil is not compacted, one pass and you are ready for seed. I am pretty sure that the fellas that invented the thing did so for their seeding business.
Watch the video and see what you think.

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #19  
I too am going into the lawn prep and seeding business. I bought a TR5 rake after viewing the video as it seemed like a durable,one pass machine to take the place of several other prep implements. I can't wait to try it out. Planning on using it to renovate gravel driveways as it looks in the video to really bring up the old gravel with those scarifiers followed by the smoothing rake. What do you charge when you prep the ground and seed grass? By the hour or the square foot? TIA

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #20  
We charge by the sq. ft. That way, if we work harder or faster, we make more money per hour.
I have used my TR3 rake on my driveway as well. Our machine does not show much wear for what we have put it through.