gas powered hand held PHD

/ gas powered hand held PHD #11  
In the past I've had great luck with the one person model that has a metal rod connecting the digger and the engine. The engine is on wheels and follows behind. The metal rod keeps the auger from spinning out of control so you can focus your energy on down pressure and keeping the thing plumb.

I never dug that many holes at a time though, and always had help, as lugging the auger and engine around is a little much for one person.

/ gas powered hand held PHD #12  
are you using 330' rolls of farm fence? Posts every 10' that has in the 300-700 holes and if you are using farm fence then you'll need "anchors" at the beginning and end of each roll

that's a ton of holes. I know you have restrictions of tree removal but keep in mind you also have to maintain the fence line........................good luck

/ gas powered hand held PHD #13  
If I were facing your job installing 300 to 700 posts, my preference would be one of those $2K 9HP hydraulic powered augers (the one with 2 wheels). One person can operate it without worrying a lot about dislocated shoulders/elbows that you can get with those one-man terrors. I'd pay the bucks for the more expensive auger and save on the hospital bills.

BTW I have 2 furlongs (1320 ft) of rusty farm fence to replace in the next year or two. I'll be drilling 132 holes for fence posts and will probably go with that vinyl-clad steel- cable ribbon-type horse fence. Fortunately, I don't have your problem with access, so I'll go with one of those TSC low-price 3pt augers and hope I don't bust my Kubota B7510HST in the process.

/ gas powered hand held PHD #14  
I believe the model TSC carries (at least around here) is called the Earthquake with a 2-cycle Tecumseh engine. My Father-in-law has one. I've borrowed it several times. I used it to put it my wife's arbor (4) and pergola(4), the split rail fence out front(12), flag pole(4 in a square), parent's flag pole(4 in a square) and for our 12'x12' deck(16). He has also installed a chain link fence around his property - probably 50 - 75 poles for that. Then his other daughter & ex-son-in-law borrowed it to put a fence up around a pool. I don't know if he has loaned it to anyone else, but it has always worked fine for us. Wasn't as easy as the tractor PHD I borrowed, but it was easier than by hand. After you've used it though you do know that you've used it. Usually runs pretty good, but can be a little hard to start if it is chilly out (<50). Seems like for your situation it might be OK. Though it will take quite a bit of time drilling that many holes as it isn't near as fast as the tractor ones. BTW, as others have said you do have keep working it up and down and usually have to apply down pressure to make it work. And while this is really a one person machine, it is much easier with 2.

/ gas powered hand held PHD #15  
You can rent one of those wheeled ones at most rental places. I'd still recommend having two people. One runs the digger and another to use a shovel or spudbar or something for imbedded rocks. Been there, done that.

/ gas powered hand held PHD #16  
You're right.

Home Depot rents these one-man hydaulic-driven PHDs for $59/4 hours, $84/day, $280/week, $840/month. At least that's the going rate at the HD box in Red Bluff, CA as of a few months ago.

They're towable, but the placard on the fender says keep it below 35mph, IIRC. Fine if you stay on the surface streets. Not fine if you have to use the freeway or state highway to get from the rental place to your place.

I guess you could drill 300-700 holes in a week of fairly leisurely work for less than $300 invested in equipment rental.

But I'm one of those types who uses rental prices as an excuse to buy new equipment. Hence, my original suggestion.Pay the rent and the money's gone. Buy the equipment and enjoy pride of ownership.

/ gas powered hand held PHD #17  
Soundguy, I have one of the Earthquaker one man units and wouldn't think of digging as many holes as you have to do with it. It works just fine if the soil is sandy and soft but gets to to be work if it turns to hard clay but then again, a hand PHD would be a lot of work too. Don't even think of using it if there are any rocks or roots that will jam or grab the auger because if the auger stops the head doesn't and the left side of your body will end up bruised from your chest to your knee because you can't "catch" it every time. Don't get me wrong, I still use it when I just have a few holes to drill. It's easier than than mounting the 3-pt PHD but for as many holes as you have to dig, especially going through the woods, I'd think of some other way.

/ gas powered hand held PHD #18  
I had an Earthquake 2 man. Several observations:
2-stroke fumes and a loud motor (no muffler). Pick windy days.
If it caught on a rock or roots it would throw 2 225 lb adult males to the ground!
If the auger corkscrews around the root and in you have to stop and unscrew out - no reverse gear.
At the bottom of the hole the handles are on the ground and the auger flighting full you have to pull all that weight up and out.

I bought mine from the Northern Hydraulics junk table & had to weld a diecast piece back on. Was probably dropped in the store. Paid about $125.

I would think twice if I had a lot of holes to drill.

A better option may be renting a small Bobcat 371/471 36" wide that can wiggle in the trees and use a hydraulic powered auger attachment. A Toro Dingo could get the job done & is even smaller.

http://www.toro.com/professional/sws/loader/

/ gas powered hand held PHD #19  
I do have the option of hire out... just looking at the money issue.

I would think about hiring out a couple hundred feet of the most difficult section with the most dense trees.

After your wife sees what the "professionals" do to the trees along the fence line, she may be persuaded to let you do the rest, save a bundle, and drop a reasonable number of the trees. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ gas powered hand held PHD #20  
my favorite tool for drilling post holes up to about 6 inches is my milwaukee 3/4 super hole shooter, i made an adapter to put in the chuck and attach the auger from a gas powered type auger to it. works great and use it with an extension cord or generator, it takes two people to hold onto it, one on the trigger handle and one on the pipe handle opposite it but thats in new england rocky soil, you may have easier drilling down there. the best feature is that its reversible if you catch a rock or tree root