Re-Seeding

/ Re-Seeding #1  

allpontiac

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford/New Holland 1715
What is the best implement/attachment for preparing the soil for re-seeding an existing lawn? Thanks, Lewis

/ Re-Seeding #2  
I use my tiller to dig it up good. Let set a few days and then use the tiller to just touch it up some. I then will take a spreader and broadcast the seed over the soil and then take a drag and go over it once or twice. Has worked great for me. Spring or fall is the best time so you don't have to worry about the heat or watering.

murph

/ Re-Seeding #3  
Do you mean overseeding an existing lawn , or killing the grass and reseeding the lawn. The equipment needed for each job is very different.

/ Re-Seeding #4  
The Preseeder, from TBN advertiser ATI Corporation, does a better job than anything that I have used. It is heavier and you can gradually adjust the machine deeper to get more aggressive. It works extremely well for spot renovation.

/ Re-Seeding #5  
The best process for greatly improving an existing lawn is cross core aerate & overseed. Some people will try sell you on slice seeding, it doe's attain some results but it doe's nothing to stimulate the existing lawn. A soil test will be a good idea to see where you stand on lime & fertilizer needs. The best season for this is fall & dont forget to water daily after seeding.

/ Re-Seeding #6  
what type of lawn are you trying to improve? I assume where you live, it is either zoysia, bermuda, or turf type tall fescue. If you core areate the zoysia or bermuda and properly fertilize it, it will fill in. Turf Type tall fescue is a bunch grass and will require seed. As stated the cross core areating will do a great job. I would suggest lightly rolling the lawn after you seed. The seed germinates the best when it has good contact with the soil. I spent many years in the turf industry and sold grass seed from the cool season grasses in the north to warm season grasses. Seeding many times is over complicated. Areate, fertilize(with a good soil test) press the seed to the soil in some way, and water, water, water.