Dump trailer selection (size)

/ Dump trailer selection (size) #1  

bajacrazy

I’m in the market for a dump trailer and can’t figure out what size to look at. I know that there are a couple of threads about dump trailers that I read and even a good one with someone building one. My question is to size of trailer to make it a dual purpose item. I want to haul tractor and use as a dump trailer. I have on order a John Deere 2520 with front loader and backhoe. My best guess is with the tractor being 109” that the fel and bh should make the total somewhere around 15’. I was hoping that my guess is off and that I could get a 14’ trailer. Does anyone know or can tell me if my guess is off? I know some of you have a 4115 with fel and bh I would imagine that this machine would be close to the same size.
What size dump trailer do you use? What brand to you like?

/ Dump trailer selection (size) #2  
I have a JD 4110 w/FEL, BH, tiller, BB, landscape rake...I haul it on a 14ft dump trailer (PJ Trailers). With FEL and BH the tractor is almost 16ft long.The tractor w/FEL & BB, BH or tiller fits in the trailer & the rear door completely closed. With the BH mounted, I have to swing the boom about 45' once the tractor is on the trailer, this way the bucket swings into the corner thereby decreasing the length of the whole unit so the rear door shuts.

I will say this set-up is a compromise. If my primary use was as an equipment hauler it would be a downright PITA. Once the tractor is loaded it's a tight fit to move around in the trailer to get the chains and straps secured - seems I'm always banging an elbow or knee on something. In the summer/fall I may haul the tractor locally 1-2x/week, but I use the dump trailer almost daily; haul mulch, fill, building materials...I'm in the process of gutting/renovating a 2 family, I've hauled 7 huge loads of debris to the transfer station for less than the cost of 1 dumpster rental. Nice.

Not a very good photo of the set-up, tiller on tractor.

-Norm

Attachments

• 835970-Trailer Side.jpg
    835970-Trailer Side.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 756
   / Dump trailer selection (size) #3  
Rear shot of the tractor loaded.

Attachments

• 835971-Trailer Rear.jpg
    835971-Trailer Rear.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 496
   / Dump trailer selection (size) #4  
I own a PJ 14" dump trailer, they are nice, I would never think of hauling any size tractor on it. Buy an equipment trailer, you will be glad you did.

/ Dump trailer selection (size) #5  
I was going to do the same thing you did and decided to buy a 24' tilting flatbed trailer instead. The dump trailer wasn't long enough for my L-39 and accessories. I'm fortunate enough to have a large dumptruck, so dropping the dump trailer idea was an option for me.

If I really needed to, I could make sides for my tilting flatbed and haul debris, firewood in it. It doesn't tilt as high as a dump trailer, though. You can see mine in my pictures.

One of my buds has a pickup with a dumptrailer. The best part about it is that it saves the money of not having to own a dumptruck, but it won't get in places as easily as a 4x4 dump. His 4x4 pickup has gotten stuck pretty bad trying to put the trailer on soft ground.

/ Dump trailer selection (size) #6  
I think you should decide what your primary need is and buy for that. I own a 14K # dump that I use to deliver firewood and other things around the farm. If or when I need to haul my tractor to a shop, I will rent an equipment trailer. While weight would not be a problem with my trailer, fitting the tractor and especially tie-downs would be more of a pain. I was afraid that if I tried to buy for both uses, it would be a compromise for my primary use. I've owned my tractor for almost five years and never had the need to haul it anywhere.

/ Dump trailer selection (size)
Thank you for your replies. I really didn’t want the 16’ trailer was leaning toward the 14’
And glad someone here was able to give me guidance on this.

My sole purpose really will be to haul trash from business to dump and haul misc. items not tractor. On an occasion to maintain a property that I own (45 min. away) would be the only time that tractor will be hauled