Ballast Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires?

/ Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires? #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I'm going to call the local tire guy tomorrow to get a quote for filling my rear tires.

I have heard of at least two options for getting them filled:

1. Antifreeze
2. Calcium Chloride.

The dealer I purchased from said that he could get 2 done with his tire guy but I decided not to at the time. He also claimed that I should not be getting the tires filled directly as they are tubeless and the CC would corrode the rims. He says that he has a tube put in each rear tire to hold the CC.

I'm guessing 2 is the way to go. Are there any other options for liquid ballast? What is your take on this business of the requirement of the tube?

My Kubota manual claims that filling tires provides economical ballast and does not cause any problems with tires or rims if done 'properly'. I have no clue what exactly they mean by 'properly'.

/ Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires? #2  
It used to be TWO things that shouldn't be discussed in public. In due time, that might become THREE.

What to put in tractor tires is a real hot potato.

I've started using #3. Windshield washer solution. (Methyl alcohol)

The biggest advantage to calc/chlor is it increases the weight per gallon over plain water, anti-freeze, or winshield washer solution. It can add more than 2 pounds per gallon.

There's another choice also. "Rim Gaurd". It's a by-product of beet juice.

Anti freeze is the most environmentally HARMFULL of all the choices, should you get a tire puncture.

And I'd NEVER use calc/chlor without tubes, but others will argue that.

Bottom line is, even straight water will give enough weight per gallon to provide adaquate ballast IN MOST CASES. (It's just not freeze-proof)

Next......

/ Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires? #3  
I've read several of the threads on this subject over the last year and alot of guys go with the windshield washer fluid - why? How much are you paying for the alcohol and how much for the water and jug? I paid for straight methanol in mine and they gave me the water free to go with it. Our county Co-op gets the methanol in 55 gal drums and it isn't very expensive and you can use it in tubeless tires with no problems. A leak will evaporate quickly so less danger of poisoning anything.

/ Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires? #4  
This time of year you may find sales on Windshield Washer Solvent. You can buy a skid of it to fill your tires yourself.
Here is one thread on doing it yourself. Click Here

/ Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires? #5  
The friendly neighborhood NAPA store sells me windshield washer solution in 55 gallon drums at a price I can't beat. (last puchase was $.43 a gallon) It ends up being cheaper than CALC/CHLOR. The convenience factor makes it the best choice FOR ME. YOUR results may vary.

I've got 4 rims sitting in my scrap pile right now that were destroyed by CALC/CHLOR. It's officially "off the list" as an option.

When ever I post "what works for me", it's exactly that and no more. I don't like spending my hard earned cash on water to put in a tire. I try to go with what works the best and takes the least cash.

One of my tractors requires over 75 gallons per tire to fill. (18.4"X30") I sure wouldn't stand there and dump 75 1-gallon jugs of windshield washer solution in a bucket to fill them.

/ Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires? #6  
Don't forget Beet Juice (Rim Guard). It has advantages over all the other options but it costs more. Total extra cost is not that great however so you should at least check it out.

/ Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires? #7  
I am just curious, were the "rotted' rims used with tubes?
You could cut the washer fluid too, specially where you live. My tractor is in my basement, so I run 2 gallons of antifreeze and water. im 24 " tires. havent had any problems.16 dollars total .
Allan

/ Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires? #8  
2 of the rims were with tubes, 2 without. Calc/Chlor has a tendency to rot out valve stems too. That causes leaks that finally will get the rims. Also, whenever a tire and tube gets a puncture, the salt water goes right to any scratches on the rims, starting there demise.

Even with WWS, I still use tubes. But that's just my "old fashioned ways" showing through.

/ Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires? #9  
WW Fluid is the only way to go in my book, a little lighter but cheap and no corrosion problems.

/ Choices for liqiud ballast in rear tires? #10  
Canoetrpr: I would advise against using CaCl2 without tubes. I rotted out 2 pairs of rims due to the corrosive effects on my old tractor. Having said that I still have weighted CaCl2 tubed tires on my new tractor. Jay