Oil & Fuel Fuel Filter Change?

/ Fuel Filter Change? #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Hello! I have a TC29D, and im not really sure how often I should be changing my fuel filter. How often do you all change your filters on 29-33hp tractors? For the 3 years that I have owned it, I have put a new one in once a year in the spring. It is hard to see good in the fuel bowl to tell if its dirty. Thanks!

/ Fuel Filter Change? #2  
If you put on 100 hrs a year then change every 4 years.

/ Fuel Filter Change? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you put on 100 hrs a year then change every 4 years. )</font>

I am going to somewhat disagree with that. A tractor that sits a lot is bound to pick up moisture. I change my fuel filter once a year, I don't care how many hours are on it.

Even like your oil filter. Oil sitting will pick up moisture and I change it once a year, again don't care how many hours are on it.

murph

/ Fuel Filter Change? #4  
Living in a cold Minnesota climate, we tend to change them in the fall, rather than spring. Want a good fresh filter so there is less jelling issue with the fuel.

Your manual will likely tell you every 300-600 hours or so, but as mentioned, once a year even if you don't get that many hours is a good idea. No need to change more often than that, unless you have a problem with bad fuel, etc. I probably average once every 2 years on my tractors.....

--->Paul

/ Fuel Filter Change? #5  
The fuel filter on my tractor is awful tiny compared to the 2 that I have on my old Benz. Actually, the one on the tractor is almost the size of the small prefilter on the Benz. The main filter is the size of an oil filter.

The manual says after the first 50 hours and then every 200 hours. I plan to change mine once/year or at least every 100 hours. That's more like about 5000 miles instead of 10,000 by the manual. The Benz filters are done every 30,000 miles. NEVER had a problem with fuel on it, but, like I said, they've MUCH more filtering capacity than the tiny one on the tractor.

Ralph

/ Fuel Filter Change? #6  
I'm at 5 years and still no change. My tractor is stored indoors and I've never noticed any fuel gelling accumulating in the bowl. Also, the fuel comes from a good clean source. You've got a clear bowl to see what is happening. If there's not a lot of deposit in the bottom of the bowl or on the filter, I say leave it alone. Remember, many automobiles today run a heck of a lot more fuel through them, and yet the filters are never changed.

/ Fuel Filter Change? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I change my fuel filter once a year, I don't care how many hours are on it. )</font>

That's the winning answer.

Tractors that cycle through a lot of fuel need frequent filter changes.

Tractors that sit a lot need frequent filter changes.

A few hours or a bunch, filters need to be changed AT LEAST once a year.

/ Fuel Filter Change? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( I change my fuel filter once a year, I don't care how many hours are on it. )</font>

That's the winning answer.

Tractors that cycle through a lot of fuel need frequent filter changes.

Tractors that sit a lot need frequent filter changes.

A few hours or a bunch, filters need to be changed AT LEAST once a year. )</font>

For $8- $10 you cant go wrong, dont ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

scotty

/ Fuel Filter Change?
Thanks for the replies guys! I will stick with once a year like I have been. I put about 150 hours per year on it I think.