broken differential lock

/ broken differential lock #1  

jaab

Tractor
cub cadet 7530
my right hand man managed to break the diff lock on my 7530 cub cadet . seems he had the tires spinning a couple of times when he tried to engage it. the operators manual of which he now has acopy ( he's banished to 4wheeler duty for now) states to completely stop the wheels before engagement. my question is are all compacts like this or is there another machine available where you can engage the lock with the wheels turning. my cub is an awesome machine so far and i wouldn't get rid of it, but i could add another tractor to the garage and just change uses. it seems that when you need the diff lock the most its the most inopportune time to stop. i mainly use my machine for small scale logging. a day in the woods is far cheaper than therapy.

/ broken differential lock #2  
I think you're going to find the other brands of tractors are the same. You can engage the differential lock with the wheels turning slowly but if you have them spinning, you're likely to break the locking pawl.

/ broken differential lock #3  
I agree with Bird. The wheels can be spinning slowly and you can ease in the diff lock. However this is if BOTH wheels are spinning. If you have one wheel with good traction (no spin) and the other is spinning you best bring the spinning wheel to a stop before engaging the diff lock.

Jeff

/ broken differential lock #4  
I have found on a previous B7500 my current L2800 and my Mitsubishi D372 I need to have the wheel turning slowly before diff lock will engage. Slowly is the key word.

/ broken differential lock #5  
Every unit I have seen requires them to be brought to a stop to engage. Like the previous post, slowly turn the wheels if the lock won't engage.

I suspect that won't be cheap to fix. Is the unit still under warranty?

D.

/ broken differential lock #6  
Stopped or slow is the key here. If it doesn't go in you hit the pedal a bit to spin the wheels slowly and they will lock up. Spinning the tires fast will shear the locking pawl or maybe you lucked out and only sheared a pin holding the pawl.

/ broken differential lock
my dealer covered it under warranty after reading me the riot act. super guy. stopped and or very slow is the way to go from now on. it sheared the corners off the locking pawl. i guess by your posts that all compacts are the same in this regard. thanks for the info. i'll post pictures of the part when i figure out how.