Tractors for physically challenged folks

/ Tractors for physically challenged folks #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I had an interesting thought...maybe been discussed already. Say I get in an accident and lose the use of my legs...can I have my 5103JD modified to where I can still use it? Who would do this type of work?

/ Tractors for physically challenged folks #2  
RFD-tv occasionally has agrability on showing modified tractors for that disability and even skidsteers and such that can accept wheelchairs.

/ Tractors for physically challenged folks #3  
Deerfan, Just did a little search on the word "handicapped" here at TBN. Here are the results

Happy reading /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Tractors for physically challenged folks #4  
When I purchased my Bota, wife had an issue with her right leg. She could walk, but did not have near the control to safely operated the HST pedal.

One of the reasons I bought it, if she would have needed to run it more AND didn't get control back, I was planning to install a boat throttle control on the HST linkage, so that she could control the speed with her hand. Seemed to be simple, if I needed to do it.

As it turned out, she has regained motor control, so I've not needed to do it.

If at some point, I ever get a huge place to mow, I might still do a mod like that (keeping the HST pedal as is), so I can set/control the speed with my left hand.

My two cents.
ron

/ Tractors for physically challenged folks #5  
Carver Equipment does modifications for physically challenged individuals

/ Tractors for physically challenged folks
I was just a thought I had driving in to work this morning. I know it is readily available for cars which led me to wonder about tractors.

/ Tractors for physically challenged folks #7  
I know we're talking about your tractor in particular, but the Power Trac line of tractors would be very easy to modify for hand only operation if someone lost the use of their legs. Since the steering is by hydraulic ram(s) and the forward/reverse is just a foot operated lever on a hydraulic valve, it would be extremely feasable to put in a joystick to control both steering and forward/reverse with one hand. Heck, you could even put in an electronic selector valve and operate the FEL, steering, forward/reverse and power angling of implements like a snowplow, and the quick attach all with one joystick. Hydraulics make these types of actions very easy to set up.

/ Tractors for physically challenged folks #8  
The HST control on my Cadet 109 never was a pedal. It's just a lever next to the steering wheel that ypu push forward to go forward and pull back to reverse. It's like most hand throttles you find on CUTs. It shouldn't be very hard to set one up on most any HST tractor. That one has a friction mechanism on it so you just push it to a position and let go. It stays where you put it until you push the brake. It's not a true cruise control since you will slow down going up a hill if you don't move the lever, but it works pretty well.

The boat throttle might even be integrated into an unused slot on the fender, depending on your tractor.

/ Tractors for physically challenged folks #9  
Yeah, I use to drive a Wheel Horse that had that feature.