Broken PTO Shaft. Now what?

/ Broken PTO Shaft. Now what? #1  

5030tinkerer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3830/GL5030
I purchased a Woods GHT72 tiller on eBay a few months ago. It's just getting warmer here, so I took it off the pallet and noticed that the PTO shaft is broken. Grr. Any idea what's involved to replace it?

Ed

/ Broken PTO Shaft. Now what? #2  
What's broken on the PTO shaft exactly?...
The shaft itself or the spline end couplers, or u-joints?
You can buy most of these components or a complete new shaft at TSI.

/ Broken PTO Shaft. Now what? #3  
Press the ujoints out to get the yokes off. Measure the length of both the inner and outer shaft and the diameter and width of the ujoint. You should be able to get the parts you need at a store like TSC. If not your local tractor dealer should be able to fix you up. If your tiller doesn't have a slip clutch I would get one. It will prevent more broke shafts and damage to the gear boxes. If it does have a slip clutch take a close look at it and try to find out why it didn't work.
Bill

/ Broken PTO Shaft. Now what? #4  
You will be able to get the parts you need, but what is it that is broken?

There are about 3 design types, and each has a few different sizes. Can get from most farm supply stores or dealers.

What part exactly is broken?

--->Paul

/ Broken PTO Shaft. Now what? #5  
If you want the hand's clean method, find a truck drive line specialty shop in your area. When I needed to buy some longer PTO shaft parts, I took the part only to the store.

They had all the right pto sizes, u joints, etc and could have redone the whole thing while I waited, had I taken the whole thing in.

If you mount the tiller and do some measurements with the 3PH all the way up and all the way down (be sure to account for it being 6-8" deep), then take the parts to a shop, they should be able to build it for you.

My shop sold me a drop off piece for $20--had I found it at TSC, which didn't have it, I would have had to pay $60 to buy a whole 4ft section.

Hope this helps.
ron

/ Broken PTO Shaft. Now what?
The shaft itself is broken, as is the plastic casing that surrounds it. The U-joints appear to be fine. Someone mentioned pressing the U-joints out to get the shaft out. Assuming this is how I get the shaft out, do I just use a three jaw puller to do this or is there some other way?

BTW, the tiller DOES have a slip clutch. How can I test its operation?

I HATE being ripped off. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Why people cannot properly represent what they are selling is beyond me.

/ Broken PTO Shaft. Now what? #7  
Depends on how the shaft is attached to the yoke. Might be welded (doubt it) or press fit with a roll pin holding it in (that's how mine was).

If that's the case, no need to take the u joints apart.

If roll pin, drive the roll pin out, the use a hammer and punch and drive the shaft out.

ron

/ Broken PTO Shaft. Now what? #8  
I had to replace the shaft on my Woods mower - the u-joints were pressed in place... took about an hour's work to get them out, the new shaft in place and reseat the u-joints.

/ Broken PTO Shaft. Now what? #9  
Just curious here.. can you describe how the shaft is broken? Is it bent? crushed, or?? ??

Soundguy

/ Broken PTO Shaft. Now what? #10  
5030, I had one that split on me , It was probably a little short for the application and it was an older 2 sided shaft rather than the three sided type available now. I got a whole replacement PTO shaft from agri-supply pretty reasonable...

Sorry to hear you got the bad shaft, Lets hope nothings wrong with the tiller... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif