Tires DIY Foam Filled Tires?

/ DIY Foam Filled Tires? #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
I have had my tractor since '02. Never had a flat. Now I have had three in one week; the same tire no less... To foam fill the fronts would be $200; $800 for the rear. And, of course, I should probably get new tires, first.

Anybody ever heard of a less costly solution for foam? A LOT less costly...

/ DIY Foam Filled Tires? #2  
Search the forums for "filled tires" or just "foam" and you'll see this isn't a new question.

Prices seem about right... maybe a bit high but not overly ridiculous.... and yes, get new tires first. What's the point of spending all that $$ on expensive foam for worn-out treads?

When the new treads wear out, it's a royal biatch ripping that foam off the rim. Foam is heavier than air, but I don't think it's heavier than CaCl, so you're losing some potential ballast by using foams in the rear instead of CaCl, if you care about that.

Bad things happen in threes. Be happy about your recent tire problems... the odds are against you having more of the same any time soon. I'd say fix 'em and watch where you're driving.

/ DIY Foam Filled Tires? #3  
What about Slime or the stuff from Gemplers (Ultraseal I think)? They say it will seal a bullet hole.

/ DIY Foam Filled Tires?
Slime didn't work!

The new part of this question is there an inexpensive do it yourself product, or is this only done through tire dealers?

/ DIY Foam Filled Tires? #5  
Never heard of a do it yourself system for foaming tires. I suspect that the foam has to be injected under pressure. When I started getting flats on the front tires adding tubs and slime solved the problem. Are you running tubes? If not that would be an inexpensive thing to try first.

MarkV