Tractor Transmissions

/ Tractor Transmissions #1  

hipapa12

Hi,
New to this tractor stuff. What is advantage of "power shift" or "shuttle shift" over std transmission? What's best? I'm getting ready to by a Kubota L3000 DT with a std shift - should I spend extra for the above featurs? I'll be using for some FEL work, but mainly mowing. Tks for any advice.

/ Tractor Transmissions #3  
Here is a transmission comparison that I did a while back.

1. Manual Shift: plain old standard shift transmission. No synchronizers thus you have to stop and clutch for each gear change. You can’t shift on the go without grinding gears. Usually have 6-8 forward gears and 1-2 reverses.

2. Synchro-Shift: Basically the same as the manual shift except it has synchronizers and can be shifted on the go. The clutch should always be used for starts, stops as well as shifting. Usually has 6-8 forward gears and 1-2 reverses.

3. Shuttle-Shift or Synchro-Shuttle: This is a standard transmission that may have as many gears in reverse as forward. There is lever on the left of the steering that performs the forward to reverse gear change. Most Shuttle Shifts have some synchronized gears or they may be fully synchronized. The clutch must be used to start, stop and change directions. Usually has 9, 12 or 16 gears in each direction. May have a gear as low as ¼ MPH on the 16 speed models.

4. Power-Shuttle: With this Standard transmission, you can change forward to reverse directions and also start and stop without using the clutch. Most if not all Power Shuttle transmissions have fully synchronized gears. Usually has 9, 12 or 16 gears in each direction. May have a gear as low as ¼ MPH on the 16 speed models. (JD calls this a Power Reverser)

5. Power-Shift: This standard transmission has all of the benefits of the power shuttle as well as being able to shift between gears without the clutch. It can be started, stopped, changed from forward to reverse and the gears shifted without the clutch. Usually has 9, 12 or 16 gears in each direction. May have a gear as low as ¼ MPH on the 16 speed models. (Massey Ferguson’s DynaQPS is a powershift and Kubota’s GST is essentially a powershift.)

If I have accidentally made a mistake on any of these let me know. I caught a place or two where I swapped items and had to change them.

/ Tractor Transmissions #5  
I had an old Yanmar (US Model) that had Power Shift. It was great. The shifter was column mounted like a reverser. I could smack it from just about any gear into reverse without clutching. I never did figure out how to steer with the steering wheel stuck to my backbone, though! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Great description - Jerry!

There are also several versions of Hydrostatic Trannies:

Direct control. Pedal(s) or levers directly control the swash plates. Simple and can be a bit tiresome.

Seperate control circuit. Pedals regulate a control circuit which in turn controls the swash plates. Much easier to handle, sisnce it takes far less pressure from the foot.
(Kubota)

Electronic control. Fly by wire, the controls are connected to potentometers which provide input to a computer. Allows software controls on the engine transmission.
(Deere)

Treadle pedal. One inline pedal controls forward and reverse. pushing down the front with the toe provides forward, the heel for reverse. Easiest to master 'out of the box' I would definately want these for rental yard equipment where they see new operators every day/

Twin pedal. Two side by side pedals operate forward and reverse travel. Can be a little trickier at first, but may be easier on the operator for extended use.

Much of what I have written is subjective. There are old time Hydro users who don;t have any trouble with the effort required. There are even Kubota owners who actually like their machines! ( /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

/ Tractor Transmissions #7  
I have the power shift and just love it

Herb