BX23 Transmission Screen was Clean????

/ BX23 Transmission Screen was Clean???? #1  

Treb5

Tractor
BX 23, GT5000, Allis Chalmer 710
I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering if something is wrong. I changed my transmission oil (SUDT) in my BX23 today at 55hrs on the meter. When I removed the screen I was surprised to see there was nearly no shavings, chips or other debris on the screen. It was very nearly clean???

I've read other posts where folks have indicated lots of shavings on the screen. I don't run the machine hard and only use it once or twice a week. Sometimes for only short durations.

Am I running the machine hard enough?? Is my case unusual?

Update:
I just noticed the manual says to disasemble the screen and clean. I did not disasemble mine. I just cleaned off the small amount of material on the outside and re installed. Would most of the debris be on the outside or inside? Now I'm wondering if I should pull the screen out again and check the inside.

Thanks
John

/ BX23 Transmission Screen was Clean???? #2  
You probably have a magnet at the end of the plug you pulled to let the fluid out. That's where most of the shavings should be gathered. I'm not sure yours has that, but mine does, and most do.
John

/ BX23 Transmission Screen was Clean????
That was part of the surprise the plug magnet was clean as well. I should mention that when using the tractor I am usually at a low RPM. I'm not real experienced operating so I do take it easy.

/ BX23 Transmission Screen was Clean???? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That was part of the surprise the plug magnet was clean as well. I should mention that when using the tractor I am usually at a low RPM. I'm not real experienced operating so I do take it easy. )</font>
Sometimes there just isn't a lot of wear to be found. New parts on one tractor may fit better at the outset than others, thus less shavings. I think it's a good sign.

Don't be worried about using the tractor pretty much as you want. You don't have to use low RPM, and as a matter-of-fact, it may be more harmful to use it at too low RPM as this can lead to lugging of the engine, much more detrimental. Try not to operated below about 1800-2000. That's still not max, and will generally keep the tractor from lugging.

John

/ BX23 Transmission Screen was Clean???? #5  
Just means you got a real clean machine. That's good. mine was clean from the start and 700 hours later it's still going great.

/ BX23 Transmission Screen was Clean???? #6  
Where you use your tractor at such low rpm I am wondering if you are using any engine oil as I had that problem with the first new tractor I bought.At 100 hrs. I was still burning a little oil and thought it was something wrong with the engine,come to find out I wasn't working it hard enough and the rings never seated properly.I did what the factory rep suggested,I went out and worked the crap out of it for a few hours at the full suggested rpm and never burned any more oil after that.

/ BX23 Transmission Screen was Clean???? #7  
My BX book doesn't even call for screen cleaning at 50 hours why fool with it?

/ BX23 Transmission Screen was Clean????
You are correct on the strainer cleaning. The manual says to remove and clean at 300hrs. I removed mine at 55hrs based on the posted reports of other BX owners who have said they had considerable amounts of shavings on the strainer at the first transmission oil change.

Also, removal of the strainer only takes about 30 seconds and checking it gave me peace of mind.