Tires Old tractors..loaded tires

/ Old tractors..loaded tires #1  

dknarnd

Gold Member
Tractor
JD1010, JD B, TC40A (new)
I grew up on a 52 JD "B" and when it quit working for my dad many years ago he parked it and picked up a nice JD 1010. The main chore is brush hogging. Well I picked up another 52 "B" so I can use the sickle bar mower; well it looks good in print but everyone knows I just wanted the "B" because I grew up on one.

To the question now. Do you think when I put new tires on the "B" it is worth loading them? Dad's had loaded tires but we farmed with it and all I am going to do is run a sickle bar mower a little.

As I sit here typing this I am thinking to myself that I will load the tires.

/ Old tractors..loaded tires #2  
Yeah, load the tires. The stability is cheap insurance. I'd stay away from CaCl2 - too much corrosion.

jb

/ Old tractors..loaded tires #3  
I agree with JB. Load them you won't regret it.

/ Old tractors..loaded tires #4  
I always like contrasting things. Try it first without loading the tires, and if it doesn't have enough traction, load them. Rather simple test. That old B is pretty heavy, and for your application it may be plenty heavy enough.

For your viewing pleasure, JDB included.
John

Attachments

• 866539-jdB.jpg
    866539-jdB.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 158
   / Old tractors..loaded tires #5  
Does your b had the 'cast' centers for it's rear wheels? If so.. you do realize that is a 4000# beast don't you? That's a whole lotta ballast right there.. And it is a mower right? How deep you want to print up the grass you are cutting? You going for making some extra drainage ditches? I purposely 'unload' the tires on my mowing tractors, unless I need the ballast for implement control.

Now.. if your B has the stamped steel centers.. that's a different story.. they are wayyyy lighter..

Soundguy